immersion heater dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
indirect cylinder has a redring immersion heater situated outside of it encased in its own mini copper cylinder in the vertical position. 15 mm pipe from top of this teeing into hot water vent pipe and piped from bottom of it into bottom of storage cylinder. rang redring and because its 30 years old theres no record of it. The back boiler for heating hot water coupled with a regular boiler for central heating.The immersion heater is not working and as i cant get a like for like replacement is there anyway I can put a standard immersion heater into the existing storage cylinder or has anybody any ideas?

Sponsored Links
i find it difficult to understand what you mean and how the immersion heater relates to the cylinder but i am sure someone will know what to do if we can see how it is put together can you post a photo please you will find the instructions on //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=99672

you can get an essex flange to put an immersion into a cylinder :idea:

very grateful for your help,and will have to probably do as you said as yet no other alternative. do you have to drill and thread using boss white and hemp or p.t.f.e do. is it a hard job?

Sponsored Links
You drill a gert big hole and sort of wind the bits through and do the nut up on the outside. Then you screw the immersion heater in and the whole thing twists. I've had trouble with them leaking and wouldn't rush to do another.

Are you sure you can't replace your immersion heater? There's only the thread size and the length to worry about. Do you know what the thread size is -
T3.jpg

we have extensive files!

if its gave you trouble its surely gonna give me some. if only thread size and length then i guess any make will do as long as it fits in its mini cylinder. no point going to all that trouble. thks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back