No hot water except when using immersion heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a hot water cylinder heated by the boiler with an option to use it's immersion heater. When I use the immersion heater all is fine, but when I use the boiler only I don't get any hot water. The input/output pipes from the boiler at the bottom of the cylinder are both hot, and the hot water output pipe at the cylinder remains cold.

Sponsored Links
It would help to tell us more about your set up.
ie Does the boiler do heating and hot water. if so do the radiators get hot?
Is it open vented or closed vented

Photos would be good of tye cylinder cupboard with all the controls on show.

Reactions: CBW
See photos of config. I don't know if it is vented or not. The boiler does hot water and heating - I have just turned on a radiator and that worked fine. There is an immersion heater on the top and that works with my solar.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_20230921_184033[3167].jpg
    IMG_20230921_184033[3167].jpg
    425 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20230921_184026[3166].jpg
    IMG_20230921_184026[3166].jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20230921_184015[3168].jpg
    IMG_20230921_184015[3168].jpg
    365 KB · Views: 91
Sponsored Links
The pipe in photo 1 with the air vent.
Have you opened it a bit to release any trapped air?

It appears you have a 3 port mid position valve, I would investigate this. Perhaps try heating and hot water together and see if that works, if it’s does,it’s probably not going back to default position. I would also check the cylinder thermostat is set high enough.

Thanks for everyone's help.

When I released the air vent then air came out and all is now fine. For info. I had solar installed this year and had not used gas to heat the water since April, so am guessing that the water in the pipe just stagnated(?) and caused air to accumulate somehow in the pipes through lack of activity. I may therefore have the same problem next year, so will vent the system in the same way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back