immersion heater removeval

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello everybody
i am about to remove the hot water cylinder immersion heater from the bathroom cubard it is the three way valve system and would like to keep the centrall heating on until the work is done. i would like to remove the immersion heater and bypass the immersion heater central heating pipes, would the main boiler still work the central heating system if i did this. and if i did the same with the hot water would the hot water get hot like it does on a combi. by the way i am only trying to do this while we revamp the bathroom.
kind regards to everyone

Sponsored Links
I take it by Immersion heater you actually mean "hot water cylinder"?

What boiler and system configuration do you have?

check the FAQ first before answering.... might save some time later ;).

I take it by Immersion heater you actually mean "hot water cylinder"?

What boiler and system configuration do you have?

check the FAQ first before answering.... might save some time later ;).

sorry i mean the indirect hot water cylinder y plan

Sponsored Links
Forgive me if i'm wrong, but what you are trying to do is. You want to take out the hot water cylinder whilst you revamp the bathroom and then put it back. In the meantime you still wish to have central heating and hot water? :confused:

Next question is what kind of cylinder unions do you have on the coil? If they are simple Irons, or compression then it can just be blanked.

Post a pic if you're stuck.

Forgive me if i'm wrong, but what you are trying to do is. You want to take out the hot water cylinder whilst you revamp the bathroom and then put it back. In the meantime you still wish to have central heating and hot water? :confused:
hi yes
i am asking if you remove the two pipes that go to the coil inside the hot water cylinder and were to join them together would the central heating system still work
regards john

hi yes
i am asking if you remove the two pipes that go to the coil inside the hot water cylinder and were to join them together would the central heating system still work
regards john
hi again
i will not be putting the water cylinder back, i will be taking it out completely as i am fitting a combi boiler after the bathroom has been done
regards
john

Next question is what kind of cylinder unions do you have on the coil? If they are simple Irons, or compression then it can just be blanked.

Post a pic if you're stuck.
hi
if i do that then the water wont circulate for the central heating system
regards

Then I think your going about this the wrong way. Have your new combi fitted and the necessary pipework changed and the cylinder will be gone to revamp your bathroom.

Well that's the way I would do it. I don't suggest trying to remove te cylinder, diverting pipes etc unless you are a qualified heating engineer - too dangerous.

You have been warned :eek:

Then I think your going about this the wrong way. Have your new combi fitted and the necessary pipework changed and the cylinder will be gone to revamp your bathroom.

Well that's the way I would do it. I don't suggest trying to remove te cylinder, diverting pipes etc unless you are a qualified heating engineer - too dangerous.

You have been warned :eek:
hi
the problem is i am doing the bathroom first and would like to still have heating if i can do it that way
regards john

It would be possible to remove the cylinder, make some changes to the remaining pipework and still have the central heating.

However you will have NO hot water at all until your new boiler is fitted. Can't see that being a practical situation.

It would be possible to remove the cylinder, make some changes to the remaining pipework and still have the central heating.

However you will have NO hot water at all until your new boiler is fitted. Can't see that being a practical situation.

The reason is - I have taken out the main bathroom and have taken the airing cubbard wall out to make the bathroom bigger and i will be removing the hot water cylinder to fit a shower cubicle where the hot water cylinder was, and tidy the pipe work up in the bathroom. then my next job would be to change the boiler to a new combi type one, but for the time being while i was doing the bathroom i was going to by pass the hot water cylinder central heating pipes so i could still have central heating in the house while doing the bathroom if this can be done
regards john

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back