Imperial radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Is there any sort of compact radiator that is available in an imperial length other than the Myson HE?

I am looking for a type 22 (Double Convector) with grilles to replace a 1750 x 450 mm radiator. 400 mm high would be fine too. It fits under a window, so can't go any taller.

The myson HE has a round top (search for "Myson Premier HE 15DC69" to see the one I am looking at) - it's the right size so I could live with it, but would prefer to match the style up with all the others in the house and they are all the more modern grilled type! It's the last radiator to get replaced!!! Grrrrr!

I suppose I could go metric and get the long tails from BES, but I've had a search and can't find them on the BES site. Has anyone got a link or a search term that works for finding these?

Cheers,

Leigh.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

These tails are the telescopic ones and would prefer to go fixed.

Or do they sell the fixed ones too?

Cheers,

Leigh. [/i]

The remainder of the tail goes inside the rad. If im honest i don't like using them if i can get away with it they are prone to leaking.

Sponsored Links
Pete, those are nice!

Now I'm not next to.a radiator so I can't quite remember exactly how it goes but here's a stab at it!

The (I think) tapered ends go in the radiator (or it arrives with them already in) and then you would normally just connect the TRV using the (captive?) compression nut.

So, is what you do use a bit of 15mm pipe, olive and compression nut to attach to the radiator and then use an olive to connect the pipe to the TRV?

Forgive me if I haven't quite remembered what's captive and what's not. Is that the general gist of it?

Cheers,

Leigh.

Simply us a 1/2" bsp to 15mm straight coupler and whatever length of 15mm copper you require.
Tape the 1/2" thread and screw that into the rad. That then leaves you 2 15mm compression joints to make, one in the rad valve and one in the fitting in the rad. Cut the copper to the required length and ther you go.Discard the tail provided with the new rad valve.

The above is best done on a valve with a 1/2" union nut, not 3/4".

Thanks. I got it right up to the 1/2 in vs 3/4 in nut discussion.

Which nut needs to be half inch?

Compression nuts have always been the same size for me on 15mm pipe, so is the BSP side of things what I need to worry about?

Sorry to be dim - might as well do it right!

I assume I can go chromed on the BSP to 15 mm adapter?

Leigh.

Is it that some radiators have 3/4 in BSP connections and I need to make sure the rad I buy has 1/2 in?

Leigh.

Most domestic rads have 1/2" tappings so that fitting in my picture is male 1/2" BSP to 15mm copper straight coupler, and yes you can get them in chrome.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back