In Car DVD Player - Avoiding Voltage Surge on Start Up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Golf MK 7 2013 2.0D Bluemotion

For the kids, I have just bought a car DVD player set, it runs off the 12v socket in the cabin, there is also one in the boot which I expect I shall use. Reading the blurb it mentions ensuring the unit is switched off (or presumably avoid leaving it plugged in) when starting the engine to avoid power surges and blowing the DVD player to Kingdom come presumably. Though that’s easier said than done of course with say a stop to refuel or whatever and in any case the Golf has Start-Stop. However the supply cable supplied is fused which the blurb suggests should prevent a disaster or is this just an over-anxious supplier or is the supply to the 12v socket actually broken during the start up? Your thoughts please.

Sponsored Links
When the engine starts, the voltage dips (~9 volts). When the alternator is running, the voltage increase to ~14 volts. Neither of these situtations should cause any electronics to blow up - though the low voltage might cause it to crash/restart.

Nozzle

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
When there is a battery in fair condition in a car the battery will absorb any high voltages which could be produced.

So as long as the battery terminals are firm, it will prevent high voltage surges.

Tony

Back