How? Diagnose circuit voltage flow problem on gas boiler ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HELP Electronic failure on gas boiler could be caused by circuit electric failure. The control panel started to turn the boiler off by itself and I reset and restarted it by pressing the reset button for about a month - Then the control panel and on and off switch totally died. I am worried the damage has been caused by erratic circuit mains electricity supply - surge or such...and the gas engineer would not test for this..I am intending to go and buy a voltimetre to check the mains socket for 240v that the boiler is fed from (The 3 amp fuse is okay) How can I tell without tampering with electrics if the flow on the boiler circuit is unsteady ?? Obviously if it is then I will call out a professional and not tamper with wires myself..I have already laid out costs for a call from one gas fitter who read the input inside the boiler as 180v instead of 240 and was unclear what caused it He told me he was not happy to attempt fixing the boiler (an IDeal HE24) I've now paid another £180 for another gas engineer visit but postponed it till the mains electrics plug get clearance for fault..and I am anxious to avoid having to pay an electrician £95 per hour to check before the gas man comes if there is no problem in the first place (The gas man will not fix the boiler if it is a mains fault but still charge a fee again to tell me he can't !!) I know the gas electrician is responsible for electrics from the fuse box on and not before it...IDEAL have started using "improved" psb - orange coloured not the total disaster black coloured ones and by boiler has the new psb..At first it was suggested that steam from a coffee maker and bread machine placed and used in ignorance under the boiler control panel could have destroyed the electronics and caused death of boiler controls. But since then I have been told the control panel would just dry out if that was the case Is that true ? This type of boiler in the past has had many psb failures (They have now changed from black to orange coded ones which are much better As my boiler is still young (3-4 years) I have the orange psb

Sponsored Links
Put that lot into paragraphs and people might take the time to read it :!:

London boy

Thanks for the scripting tip I will do that in future.

I have paid a visit to my local London Power Company shop and their resident electrician - Dusseldorf Boy has given me great advice.

The problem is thankfully now solved by someone who's first language is not English

I have paid a visit to my local London Power Company shop and their resident electrician - Dusseldorf Boy has given me great advice.

The problem is thankfully now solved by someone who's first language is not English

Probably a sauerkraut then?
I bet you took a breath now and then when you were explaining the problem to Herr?

It's useful to do that when you are writing too.

Sponsored Links
Matay, your boiler is designed to operate on a supply voltage of between 220v and 250v so if it is outside of these parameters, then you should take this issue up with your electricity supplier.... Having said that, the PCB on your boiler is as you have noted, weak. Pump faults and fan faults have been known to fry the PCB. You have stated that before the PCB failure, you had to reset the the boiler several times, you may well have a fault on the boiler requiring it to be reset and eventually it may have caused your PCB to fail..... Perhaps your boiler was trying to tell you that it was not well but you ignored its warnings

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back