New elec oven - on radial/ring circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new electric single over (16A) (and gas hob) to replace and old gas cooker. I do not have any radial circuit back to the consumer unit currently. is this something i MUST do? ideally i dont want to do this as it causes problems with decorating i have already done. I have had a few electricians round and some have said that most single ovens can be connected directly to a standard socket.

Sponsored Links
Single electric ovens can be plugged into a standard 13 amp socket - or connected to a switched fused outlet - IF they take 13 amps or less (about 3kW). :cool: :cool: :cool:

Since yours is 16 amps, I think you'll need a radial. :cry: :cry: :cry:

where did you get 16A from? Many European makers of 3kW ovens specify a 16A radial because they do not have the advantage of our unique ring circuit and splendid 13A plug. Almost all single ovens will run happily on a 13A plug.

3kW is OK on 13A plug.

However if you have a more powerful oven, you do need a radial.

What is the power rating in the specification?

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies.

Its a belling Oven XOU60FP. Specification on the Belling web site says " Installation - Fuse size - 16A ". (it does rate its Gas ovens as 13A.)
However, the data on the box says its 2.2 Kw. So following avice given here that would mean it could be connected to a 13A stadard socket.
All a bit confusing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back