elec oven and now elec hob.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi.

we did out our kitchen originally had a elec oven and gas hob but gas hob wasnt over the oven.

so i want elec oven and easiest option was to have a elec hob.

so ... my problem. the elec oven has a special plug so would i need one of these for the elec hob or would a normal plug do?

thanx

Sponsored Links
NO! you cannot and MUST NOT plug the hob into a normal 13A plug, mainly because it will use more than 13 amps!

I doubt the oven has a "special plug". More likely is it has been wired into a cooker connection plate. Can you confirm this, and the size of MCB/fuse that supplies it? Also is it a single or a double oven?

hmmm unsure of this as i am still waiting for it to come.

the oven is a single oven. it has a plug that has cooker and a red fuse thing on it. so is there a way to change it to a double socket? or should i get a elec out?

thanx for your reply

Sponsored Links
danielles5982 said:
it doesnt say on the plate what fuse it is
There isn't a fuse in this accessory. This unit is known as a cooker control unit. (it has 2 switches - a large one saying "cooker" and a smaller one saying "socket" if i'm correct).

When i said the fuse/mcb rating, i meant the rating of the fuse in your consumer unit/fuse box, labelled cooker.

And I already told you you cant plug an electric hob in. So why change this part for a double socket?

I would get an electrician in - no offence intended, but your level of knowledge you're demonstrating does nothing to tell me you are up for this job. And there are now legal issues surrounding work in kitchens.

The electrician will re-locate this cooker switch to outside the oven enclosure (SO YOU CAN SWITCH IT OFF!), and wire the hob straight into it.

I would also advise you reconsider the electric hob. They are inefficient, slow to react to any desired temperature changes, and the heat is present for a long time afterwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back