2.5kw elec oven wth gas hob. New circuit or local socket??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

Mum and Dad are having their kitchen redone and the owd girl wants a new cooker which going to be electric with seperate gas hob.

Currently there is no cooker cct in kitchen just a 16A radial serving 3 twin sockets above work surface and 1 single low level adjacent exisitng gas cooker and fridge.

I have read the the tech spec for the new cooker and all it states is that the grill, not oven is 2.5kw or 2500w. Which is no bigger than a panel convection heater you plug in. Other than electric ignitor for the hub and possibly a timer on the oven its very low load according to the spec.

Do I need to install a 6/4mm 16A radial cooker cct or will it be fine plugged in to the single socket.(Change for a double)
Yes I am a 17th Edition electrician but dont get involved with domestic....

Thanks Andy

Sponsored Links
2500/230 = 10.9a

will work fine on an accesible plug top and assuming the rest of the appliances dont go above 16a it will suffice.

if its a 2.5mm radial you can probably get away with uprating the mcb to a 20a to give you more headroom.
(as long as all factors like volt drop etc... have been taken into consideration)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back