New CH Boiler Electrical Installation Certification?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've had a new CH boiler, DHW cylinder and related control gear installed for which my RGI employed an electrician; I have not recieved any information about the safety or certification of the electrical installation and was wondering if this was the way it should be?

The boiler, cylinder and controls have been moved into a bedroom from the kitchen and bathroom and 2 new fused spurs provided for the boiler and electrics (spur off of the ring main) and the Immersion Heater (direct feed to the CU but not into the way provided for the Immersion seperately). Also I was told by the plumber that the electrician had said the board needed upgrading along with the bonding for the water and gas supplies nothing done it seems though.

Should this sort of work not have been done as part of the installation and certificated? Does it need to be notified to the BC?

Sponsored Links
You get what you pay for. Did you pay the gas guy for a full job including the wiring. Or did you agree to pay each person for a job ?

Obviously if the gas guy sub contracts he is responsible. If you choose two suppliers for two parts of a job then you have to take it up with the electrician.

Bonding 2 x 10 mm earth cable within 600mm of the gas metre / water main cock can be between £30- £250 depending on cable length, route, containment, installation method etc.

For a new circuit an IEC is required.

For new fused spurs off an existing ring main a minor works cert should have been completed if he was registered.
Such work is outside the notifiable section of part P and could have been done under DIY.

Immersion Heater (direct feed to the CU but not into the way provided for the Immersion seperately)

Could you confirm what the bolded words mean :confused:

Pictures would be good !

Gas man only employed directly by us and he specified on his quote to "employ electrician to re-wire new components".

Immersion Heater (direct feed to the CU but not into the way provided for the Immersion seperately)

Could you confirm what the bolded words mean :confused:

Sorry, not got any pictures to hand. Old CH system had an immersion heater dedicated circuit in 2.5 T&E from a 15A fuse in the consumer unit which had been disconnected.

The immersion heater now works and is wired up to a fused sw spur but the fuse in the dist unit is not connected; I have not checked where the new 2.5 T&E he has put in is wired into the dist unit.

Thanks for the other info. I know the system should be bonded but since he has replaced gas pipe from the meter to the boiler should the bonding of this (and the water if it was inadequate) been done at time of boiler commisioning?

Blu: That work is indeed Notifiable both for the gas installation and the new electrical controls. However, as you've used an 'RGI', you should find that he has registered the work with the 'Gas Safe' organisation (the equivalent of the old CORGI body). They in turn will notify your local BC.

You should at least have a 'Benchmark' certificate from the RGI, and verification that the main bond to the gas supply is present and adequate at the time of commissioning. And, you certainly should have a certificate from his electrician, even if it's only a 'Minor Works Certificate' (issued when only a single circuit is worked on).

I can't make out what you mean about the immersion heater circuit.

Lucia.

Sponsored Links
Normally an Electrician will issue an installation certificate or a minor works certificate for every job he does. Although it is not law.

In domestic it is required that certain jobs are notified under Part P with includes any work in bathrooms, kitchens or garden. Also any new circuits from the consumer unit.

The notification where the electrician is a member of a scheme is down to the electrician, but where he is not then it is up to the home owner to notify before the work starts.

Seems odd I know but where a number of craftsmen are working on one job then the LABC only have to be notified once for whole job so although normally a builder or non registered electrician would do the work of informing the LABC for you they don't have to. The lack of any permit to work system means it is very hard to blame the electrician where he does not notify unless one can be 100% sure he agreed to attend to it.

Reading what you say your job will come under Part P. But where a registered gas safe installer employed an electrician then one would expect he would be responsible for passing on all paper work to you. With Corgi he would have been a member of a scheme operator and Corgi would have sorted it out for you.

I don't know if the new gas safe thing still acts as scheme provider but I would aim there first. I would think that a gas safe guy would be contractually obliged to either inform then LABC or employ a registered electrician. The contract would be between gas safe guy and his scheme provider.

The theory is when you see NAPIT etc on paper work or van side you the home owner knows that you don't have to mess around with the LABC it will be all done for you. This is why it is such a big thing to claim to be member and not be.

I have tried to goggle to see if gas safe do electrical Part P like Corgi did but I see nothing on their site and it seems this may be a major problem with sub contracting.

I will watch to see if anyone knows if the gas safe guy would or would not be responsible to ensure compliance with Part P.

If for example you were having an extension the builder could notify the LABC of the work and then sub-contract an electrician who was not a member of a scheme to complete the electrics and he would forward the the installation certificate to the LABC who would issue the completion certificate and unless the cost of electrical work takes the job into next threshold to LABC payment this is a cheaper method than having the electrician pay annual fee to scheme provider as the builder will have to pay LABC anyway so including electrics can make sense.

This has caused problems in the past where the builder has not told the LABC that they will be responsible for electrics and they have not been checking the electrical work as the job progressed.

I am now retired but I have done the odd job and I was very surprised the LABC did not issue a permit of any type so I had to take the owners word that the job had been registered with the council. On completion I hand delivered the insulation certificate to the council offices again no paper work or receipt was given. I did meet the inspector on a site visit but this was pure chance. So had the home owner not informed the LABC as the electrician I would have not known he hadn't and at end of day it was not really my concern it is the duty of home owner to ensure Part P is complied with.

To me that is a completely unsatisfactory system. Labour government mess up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back