Retrospective electrical certificates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I recently had my kitchen refurbished complete new electrics (wiring, sockets, lights, electric oven etc). The electrican also installed a new fuse box for all the electrics in the kitchen.

The electrician used was hired by my builder. Reading through all the posts, i am pretty certain he should have given me some sort of cerificate. Can someone confirm? Also, which certificate?

If i am unable to get this electrician to provide one, can i get another electrican to do it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Problems with insurance if anything goes wrong and when selling. If your builder refuses to get you a certificate ask to see the copy of notification to the council. If no success then report him to said council as he is breaking the law.

Sponsored Links
If you can't get a certificate call the local building control, they may feel generous towards you and inspect/notify for a fee, but usually they want to know whats being done before you start.

if not then you will have to get a Periodic Inspection Report done this looks at the overall condition/safety of the installation in your house, it's not the same as an EIC but will cover you for insurance or if you move house.

The reason we are not permitted to certify others work is because it is often difficult/impossible to know whats going on behind the scenes ie: a 2.5 cable could join to a 1.5 and back again in a wall or above a ceiling and we'd be none the wiser.

Just to give everyone an update.

I am still chasing the builder/electrician to issue an EIC.

I have spoken to my LABC who said for a fee of £276, they will send out their own electrical team to check the work and if it applies with all the BC regulations, they will issue a Certificate of Completion. As I understand it, it is this certificate which is needed to sell the property. The LABC did mention their electrical team may need to expose the floorboards and walls to check the work. Obviously this is not something I want done, so I will still continue to chase the builder.

Out of curiosity, if I just give up on this and not get a Certificate of Completion, how will this stop me from selling my house? I was reading through the Sellers Questionnaire and none mention whether any electrical work has been done...just a basic question of when the electrics were last tested.

Anyway, I will keep everyone updated, and appreciate the comments!

Thanks

Thanks

If the Seller Questionnaire is asking for a PIR, then if i dont have the EIC and Cerificate of Completion how would this stop me from selling my house? In order words how would the buyers or solicitors know?

Apologies is this is going slightly off topic, but the issue is causing me a lot of stress and im thinking about just giving up on the issue.

Thanks

If they don't ask, don't tell them end of story.

If you want you can get an electrician in to do a PIR, there should be no need to take up floor boards etc unless something comes to light.

I am currently having my kitchen completely refurbished, including a lot of electrical work and a new fuse board - keeping my fingers crossed that we'll get the right certification. When we sold my mother's house after she died, we had the bathroom refitted, which involved having the shower replaced and some other new work, also a new fuse board. At some expense, the electrician provided a Part P certificate but only because I pressed for it. When the house was sold, (this year) there were specific questions about what electrical work had been done, and the Part P was needed. I had done research on the net and expected problems if I hadn't got the certificate.

At some expense, the electrician provided a Part P certificate but only because I pressed for it.
He was legally obliged to provide it, and the cost to him would have been a few pounds.

He should not have charged anything for it, let alone a significant sum.

Make a complaint to his scheme organiser, and report him to Trading Standards,

I am still chasing the builder/electrician to issue an EIC.
Stop chasing him, go to the small claims court, don't give him one second more than the legal minimum to pay up before you get the bailiffs sent in to enforce it.

He is taking the p***, and he won't stop until you stop letting him.

And Daisyrose whom he was replying to posted DEC13.

SPECSAVERS ANYONE?

And Daisyrose whom he was replying to posted DEC13.
SPECSAVERS ANYONE?
I think it might be you who needs specsavers. The post in question from BAS was not a reply to Daisyrose's one of today but, rather to that of zak81 on January 18th :) Maybe your current specs didn't allow you to notice that BAS posted two messages?

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back