electrical certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I am thinking of studying an electrician. The course ı am going to study is below. when ı have this certificate, wıll ı be allowed to gıve or sıgn an Electrical Installation Certificate or a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate

Level 3 certificate in Installing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipment (Buildings, Structures and the Environment)

thanks

Sponsored Links
No, ı havent got level 2
That should be at least your starting point.
If you are a complete numpty (not suggesting you are!) Then a level one foundation course is more likely best starting qual.

I doubt the training provider, would allow you to enrol on a L3 without already completed a L2.

Sponsored Links
of course ı am going to start level 1 but at the end ı am going to have a certificate which ı mentioned below. just wondering that when ı have thıs cert. what wıll ı be allowed to do.

OK!
So you wish to progress through L1, L2 and then to L3.
And you want to then be able to hand out installation certificates?
Are we talking about domestic, commercial or industrial work?

Domestic work will require going through the notification process!

Well you do not need any qualification to do electrical work.
But you do need to really know what you are doing.
In the domestic sector, you will require to not only issue certificates but also some of your work will require notifying building controls.
If you wish to be able to self notify, then you must be a member of a competent person scheme. There are few of these and they will likely require to be insured, have your wiring regs qual, some will require an inspection and testing qual also.

thanks for your answer...
As you progress, through the levels, you get to know what is required.
Level 1 is one required, if you are complete idiot. That is not an electrical idiot but village version!
So if you English and Maths are of reasonable standard, then L1 can be avoided.
But I do recommend you do not take any short cuts or any fast track courses, you will learn nothing!
Do the part-time or full time courses offered by your local college and get some experience!

Level 3 is a bit misleading. To be able to read a book and copy the contains quick enough to answer a series of questions is level 3, the C&G 17th edition exam is nothing more than being able to read and remember about 1/2 of the answers to do it in the required time. The C&G 2391 however for inspection and testing is a far more involved test. The 'A' level is a level 3 exam, but my Digital photography was a doddle, the maths however was very different.

Some exams are simply written, others require some demonstration of your skill.

So question one is what is "Electrotechnical systems" I would consider a course which spans over 4 years should give one a lot of knowledge combined with on the job training it does state "Candidates should also have employment within the Electrical Contracting Industry for the provision of the work-based evidence which must include Domestic, Commercial and Industrial installation."

But fitting a 12 volt alarm system would be "Electrotechnical systems" so would fitting Evohome central heating. Today we have nest and hive automating the home, and in the commercial and industrial with have SCADA and many more systems to control machines which would clearly come under "Electrotechnical systems". PLC's and there coms is quite a complex subject and being able to install a PLC system will likely mean high wages.

However one does need to be wary of being a jack of all trades and master of non. I looked for a break down of the course, I got the 726 hours in collage and that it also needs on job training yet some are offering it as a 16 week course. If you are an electricians mate, and you have been doing that for some years, and what you want is to become an electrician then maybe you can do it in 16 weeks?

It does warn about the maths, that's where I struggled, it is odd, I found calculus a problem, but imaginary numbers easy, others on the course found the reverse. OK I was doing a level 5 course, but likely you will still need the maths, 'A' level maths does not cover imaginary numbers, you need further maths 'A' level.

One of the problems was my courses were not always in the right order, so one would be required to do mapping of binary before you were taught the maths of how to do it. Truth tables are not that easy. I thought I was good at maths, until I went back to school, then I realised how what is required has completely changed.

I was asked if I knew logs, yes I said, I had used log tables a lot before the calculator came out, however it was not the use of log tables, it was how to handle numbers to odd powers and completely new to me.

OK I passed, I got my degree in electrical and electronic engineering, but it was not easy, even after 40 odd years in the trade. May be back in the 1970's when I went to collage we did do some of the maths? But I did not remember it.

...'A' level maths does not cover imaginary numbers...
It did in 'my day' (mid-60s), at least, with the Examining Boards we used!
... I was asked if I knew logs, yes I said, I had used log tables a lot before the calculator came out, however it was not the use of log tables, it was how to handle numbers to odd powers and completely new to me.
Again, in my day, we needed to have such knowledge for A-Level, not the least because one can't get too far with integral calculus without running into the need to know how to handle logs - and those were in the pre-calculator days when we used slide rules and log tables for A-Level.

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back