New Extension - Electrical Certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We've recently had an extension built but unfortunately have ended up in dispute with the builder who is refusing to to do any more work and won't issue the electrical certificate. Do I have to get the electrical certificate from them or can another electrician test and sing it off?

To make matters worse the electrician (who was the project manager) has parted company with the building firm in question.

Cheers
Trist

Sponsored Links
We've recently had an extension built but unfortunately have ended up in dispute with the builder who is refusing to to do any more work and won't issue the electrical certificate.
Where are you with the balance of payments made vs work done?

If they don't issue an EIC then they have not properly done the electrics, and therefore are not entitled to be properly paid for them.

Do I have to get the electrical certificate from them or can another electrician test and sing it off?
Have you asked Building Control what they need you to do if they are to issue a completion certificate?

To make matters worse the electrician (who was the project manager) has parted company with the building firm in question.
That might make things better, not worse.

If he no longer has a relationship with the builder to protect there's no reason for him not to issue the EIC.

Get in touch with whichever scheme he belongs to (NICEIC/NAPIT/ECA/etc) and see what their position is on an electrician withholding a certificate as part of a dispute.

Many years ago when Part P was new, I had the same problem, all I can do is relate what happened to me, in the hope it helps you. As BAS has suggested I did contact the LABC in hind sight not sure that was the best option, it turned out the builder had not put in the necessary paper work, and until I put my big foot in, they had no idea the work was going on, as luck has it, because the work for for my mothers disability there was no charge, but it could have turned out expensive, and it was pointed out, although builders often do apply for planning permission for their clients, it is the owner who is responsible to ensure it has been done.

On finishing electrical work the electrician should complete the installation or minor works certificate and if required within 14 days inform the scheme provider or send a copy to the LABC, however the problem is until finished he should not energise the circuits, nor does he need to inform or submit paperwork. There has been many a discussion as to once the system is powered up, if he then has to provide paperwork, part of the testing is done live, so there is an argument that if a fault is found then power should be removed and no paperwork issued, there is also the point, an electrician should not make a house uninhabitable, so where there are people living in the house while work is going on, there has to be a little give and take on strict following of the rules, all well and good when the occupants go to live in a hotel while the work is going on, but that's not the real world.

So in the real world you have two options, one get the electrician to finish off and issue paperwork, two get some one to complete an electrical installation condition report. Now if the LABC is told they will likely tell you to get an EICR and likely they will stipulate who should do it, and it will be on the strength of that report that they will issue a completion certificate. So you not telling LACB and getting an EICR will in theory leave you with a house just as safe, but no completion certificate. However that depends on the person doing the EICR doing a good job.

In England you can now get third party overseeing of the electrical work, since they have not been involved from start, they can't do an installation certificate, however an EICR from a firm licensed to do third party inspection is likely to be accepted better than any tom dick or harry.

So you have to decide if your going to tell the LABC, you can expect a £250 plus bill, but you will have all the paperwork, or get an EICR likely half the price, and cross your fingers and hope if you sell that will be accepted. You could also delay getting the EICR until you decide to sell if you think the work is A1 anyway.

However you can't untell the LABC, once you tell them, then you have to pay fees, and follow their instructions, I thought it was safer to tell them, however they missed all the real problems like a lintel being too short, so in real terms what was the point? It's all well and good saying what should be done, but we are not paying the bill.

The getting hold of the electricians scheme provider may help, but in my case, I had not noted who the scheme provider was, or even electricians trading name, I knew who the builder was, but after telling LABC within weeks he stopped trading, likely due to me telling LABC, so could not claim anything from them. Every case is different of course, in hind sight it did no good at all telling LABC, had the firm still been trading maybe I could have got some money back.

I am sure if I had found the electrician doing the work, I would have still got nothing, from quality of work in hind sight I think he was a chancer as well as the builder. Hope you learn something from my errors. The big error was going for some one who had a low quote. Money is not everything, some times we need quality.

Hi ban-all-sheds, thanks very much for advice. As far as payment is concerned they've not had the whole amount but they have had more than was due at the time they stopped work.

I'll check with building control and go from there.

Sponsored Links
Depends on your BC, I have carried out EICRs on disputed jobs and he accepted them, I am not Part P registered

it was pointed out, although builders often do apply for planning permission for their clients, it is the owner who is responsible to ensure it has been done.
According to what the law says, i.e. the words written in it, it is the person who carries out the work who is responsible, not the person paying for it or asking for it to be done.

However you can't untell the LABC, once you tell them, then you have to pay fees, and follow their instructions
But in this case he can't not tell them. When it gets to the stage of getting a completion certificate, and they ask for the EIC from a registered electrician, and Trist says "Err....", what will probably happen is that they will say the same when he asks about his certificate from them....

I'll be the first person to try a guess at that, and I'll say "somewhere in England or Wales".

Whereabouts in the world do you work?
The building inspector involved wanted a bit of a ermmm situation tying up and he was willing to take my EICR so he could sign off an extension, the original spark had done a runner so it was the easiest way

Just wondered which council it was but I guess you have to remain schtum...;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back