Electrical Safety Certificate witheld

deadshort";p="3358094 said:
I If it's money you owe then you would be better off paying him.

DS

Well, its' disputed. I am obviously in the right :confused: But seriously, no, I don't think I owe them the amount they are asking for and they havent finished the work yet. It has nothing to do with electrical work and they are using it to withhold the cert....

I cant apparently insure my house adequately without it so it has a rather sinister twist. I think I'm just stunned a scheme like this doesn't have failsafes like "copies to everyone".

Sponsored Links
I would have a prod at SELECT and ask for their help.

The Builder is the Electricians client whom he has quite rightly given the certs too. He has also quite rightly stayed well out of any dispute between the builder and the builders customer.

I do see this. The electrician has not done anything wrong and fulfilled all obligations.

I have since spoken to Select and they say this is a very "gray" area that does crop up. They're saying it might be down tot he local authority as to what they might accept in terms of another electrician testing the condition with periodic test. Not guaranteed way forward though.

I'm incredulous this can happen when the process is intend to address building standards and safety for the occupier and yet its seems to have worked against me int his case.

Surely the issue here is with the builder?

Yes, I totally accept this.

I 'm afraid they have become completely unresponsive though and I suspect they won't be returning to complete works or have dialogue based on communications up to now.

You'll need to take my word for it that I'm in the right I know, but I'm just trying to find other options because I'm genuinely in a position that puts my home at risk as far as I can tell.

Well, its' disputed. I am in obviously in the right :confused: But seriously, no, I don't think I owe them the amount they are asking for and they havent finished the work yet. It has nothing to do with electrical work and they are using it to withhold the cert....
I guess that they probably have a different view. If they believe that you owe them money in relation to the job as a whole (which presumably includes the electrical work, which they may well already have paid for), then they may feel that they are justified in holding documents 'to ransom' until the dispute is resolved and they have been paid whatever that resolution dictates (don't forget that they may well believe that they are "obviously in the right", too!).
I cant apparently insure my house adequately without it so it has a rather sinister twist. I think I'm just stunned a scheme like this doesn't have failsafes like "copies to everyone".
Again, I suppose there will be differing views about this. 'Copies to everyone' would mean that you would get your certificate directly from the electrician even if you did not pay a penny to the builder (who was paying the electrician).

I'm not questioning your belief that you are in the right (I obviously haven't got a clue) - merely pointing out that different players in a situation like this will have different viewpoints.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I assume there was a contractual agreement between builder and home-owner?
I would expect that agreement included completion and certification of the electrical work, if so the builder is in-breach of his contract.
I would write to the builder informing of this and request the certificate, also inform the builder if they fail to to issue you with this certificate you will take court procedure against him for the value of money it would cost for you to have the electrical installation inspected, tested and certificated by another electrician.

The contract is disappointingly unspecific about "completion" or "certificates".
Lawyers letters have been exchanged along these lines already.

You've helped me focus my question then along the lines of the possibility of having the electrics tested by another electrician. Is that something that CAN happen?! the process reads like only an electrician can certify their own work. If they have and I cant get that certificate then how do I reassure the council its done to standards?

You'll need to take my word for it that I'm in the right I know, but I'm just trying to find other options because I'm genuinely in a position that puts my home at risk as far as I can tell.
Although, as you've said, it's not certain what the LA will/would accept, I would have thought that an insurer would be happy with an EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report - what used to be a PIR) undertaken by a different electrician, although that would obviously cost you money.

Even as far as the LA are concerned, if the situation doesn't change, ultimately they will have no choice other than either to inspect and test themselves (and few LA's have the ability/expertise to do that) or rely upon an inspection by some 'other' electrician. It's not a unique situation - for example, electricians have been known to 'disappear' before a job is completed or, at least, before they have issued any paperwork.

Kind Regards, John

JohnW2 - thank you. Some wise words. I see what you mean about electricians walking off site. The Select rep suggested its not unique too but really pointed me back to LA.

You are all helping me see both sides of this of this predicament. Part of that is seeing what everyone's views are here. Much appreciated!!

JohnW2 - thank you. Some wise words. I see what you mean about electricians walking off site. The Select rep suggested its not unique too but really pointed me back to LA. ... You are all helping me see both sides of this of this predicament. Part of that is seeing what everyone's views are here. Much appreciated!!
You're welcome. It sounds as if you greatest immediate concern relates to the insurance. If you have not done so already, it might be work asking the insurers what they would accept - i.e. if they would accept an EICR.

Kind Regards, John

The contract is disappointingly unspecific about "completion" or "certificates".
Lawyers letters have been exchanged along these lines already.
But it would be hard to disqualify if court procedures ensued, as the work agreed required inspection, test and certs for it to be completed. And you have evidence that an application for this work was made to the council.
You've helped me focus my question then along the lines of the possibility of having the electrics tested by another electrician. Is that something that CAN happen?! the process reads like only an electrician can certify their own work. If they have and I cant get that certificate then how do I reassure the council its done to standards?
There has to be a means of having your installation commissioned, I would approach the building officer and inform them about your issue and ask what would be an acceptable route forward?

There has to be a means of having your installation commissioned, I would approach the building officer and inform them about your issue and ask what would be an acceptable route forward?
Indeed. As you say, there has to be a solution. As I wrote yesterday ...
Even as far as the LA are concerned, if the situation doesn't change, ultimately they will have no choice other than either to inspect and test themselves (and few LA's have the ability/expertise to do that) or rely upon an inspection by some 'other' electrician. It's not a unique situation - for example, electricians have been known to 'disappear' before a job is completed or, at least, before they have issued any paperwork.
... they may not like it but, AFAICS, the LA would ultimately have no option other than to accept of one those two approaches. Indeed, since the OP's dispute is with the builder, I would imagine that the same issue probably arises in relation to things other than the electrical work, so that will also probably have to be discussed with the BCO.

Kind Regards, John

What does Scottish law actually say about standards, compliance etc for electrical work in this scenario?

If the builder is obliged to provide proof of compliance to the local authority within x days of doing the work, I doubt that a civil dispute between him and his client exempts him from the law.

Could the OP employ the sub-electrician himself and get the original designer/installer to issues a new cert for work he has correctly done - now paid for separately (a new contract) ?

Could the OP employ the sub-electrician himself and get the original designer/installer to issues a new cert for work he has correctly done - now paid for separately (a new contract) ?
If I understand you correctly ... the OP has said that the original electrician does not want to do anything 'behind the back' of the builder, since (s)he gets a lot of work from that builder.

Kind Regards, John

If the electrician fears damaging his relationship then he clearly fears that the builder is indeed withholding the certificate in furtherance of his dispute.

If I understand you correctly ... the OP has said that the original electrician does not want to do anything 'behind the back' of the builder, since (s)he gets a lot of work from that builder.

Kind Regards, John
and possibly agrees with said builder's point of view ?

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back