Electrical Safety Certificate witheld

If the electrician fears damaging his relationship then he clearly fears that the builder is indeed withholding the certificate in furtherance of his dispute.
AFAICS, everyone involved acknowledges that that is what is going on. Different people will have different views as to whether that withholding is reasonable and/or justified.

If I believed that a client owed me money in relation to a project and I had subcontracted some of the work (and quite probably already paid for it), I probably wouldn't hand over the work done by that subcontractor until the dispute had been resolved.

Kind Regards, John
Sponsored Links
If I understand you correctly ... the OP has said that the original electrician does not want to do anything 'behind the back' of the builder, since (s)he gets a lot of work from that builder.
and possibly agrees with said builder's point of view ?
Quite possibly. As I wrote yesterday, whilst none of us know anything about the facts of this case, there are usually 'two sides' to any dispute - and both parties often believe that they are 'obviously right'!

Kind Regards, John
It would seem the local authority has not been asked yet and as I have said the whole idea is the electrician tells the scheme operator the work complies who in turn tells the local authority the work complies so although the owner may not have the document from the electrician the local authority should still be able to issue a completion certificate.

I think the rule of passing paperwork to client only is for when the occupier is a tenant and any reports as to non compliance the owner wants a chance to correct before the occupier starts making demands.

As far as a builder goes then his actions could damage an electrical installation as in the famous Emma Shaw case.

Now I live in Wales so different rules I know but a builder was engaged to convert a outside toilet and pantry into a wet room. Major item was time as my mother had a date when she would return home so the builder was selected mainly as he said he could complete on time.

He really messed up, in hind sight not all his fault he had picked up a faulty batch of tile cement which was not curing but all we could see is a complete failure on his part to complete on time.

My son lost his temper and the builder walked off site never to be seen again. My son and I had the job to complete it as no builder was available to start work straight away.

This work was for the disabled so no LABC charges so step one was to inform the LABC we were taking over the job. We got a visit and were informed until we had told the LABC they knew nothing about the work.

We completed the electrical work the rest is no interest to you and I had to provide the LABC with an installation certificate I fully expected this to be rejected as where the builders electrician had done work I indicated on the certificate work not done by me or my son and I expected to be told it needed ripping out and inspecting. However this was not the case the inspector never visited the house he just sent the completion certificate in the post.

There were major items missed by the LABC one was a door way was moved 12 inches to the left but the lintel was not moved with it so only thing supporting wall was the door frame.

Once the panic was over we did look to getting some money back. But it seems the LABC had beat us to it and the company had been forced to stop trading.

OK your a little different to me one in Scotland not Wales and two I would assume you don't hold the electrical qualifications I do so would have a problem issuing any electrical installation condition report.

But the LABC wanted me to employ a third party inspector of their choosing to test the electrical installation. Remember their choosing not mine. So it would seem there is only one organisation who can really help. The local council. You have to tell them what's gone on and ask for their help. And go in person don't send letters go there yourself ask to see the building inspector and explain what has gone on.

It is possible they have the notice from Select and can issue paperwork on the strength of that. And likely once you get the completion certificate the insurance will be happy with that and will not need the installation certificate.

The LABC is made up of people and if you talk to people one to one they are far more likely to help then sending a letter. I often send my wife she seems to get more help than I do. Not seen many female LABC inspectors so sending wife likely best idea.
Indeed, could approach it from the viewpoint that essentially you've had a load of work done without proper building control and now you want to apply to regularise it...
Sponsored Links
I agree with what Eric has said.

In all my dealings with Building Control I have found them to be helpful and sometimes happy to give "off the record advice" about the best way forward.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local