in or out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, ive just had double glazed window/doors fitted alls great except ive been having a discussion with the wife about the front door.
it has 2 small windows ( half size of the door ) about 5 ins wide there is a leaded pattern of tulips on it and other side obscure glass now....
is there a right and wrong way to have the pattern facing ?

at the moment the leaded pattern is on the outside and she says the pattern should be on the inside and also being in contact with the weather it will get ruined in time

personally, it looks better from the outside as you can see the tulips rather than looking through the obscure side and the lead wouldnt get weathered would it as its fitted on church roofs etc

thanks P M

Sponsored Links
I should say first I'm not a glazier or expert but my door has a similar pattern of lead work and it's on the outside... now that I look so is my neighbours.
It has weathered a bit but all that's happened is it's lighter grey than it probably was originally and has a few white spots but it seems to clean up ok quite easily.
I would agree with you that it goes outside so that people can see it (is that not the reason for having lead work?) :D

Sponsored Links
It has weathered a bit but all that's happened is it's lighter grey than it probably was originally and has a few white spots but it seems to clean up ok quite easily.
You can get round this by using black graphite polish but it will blacking the lead, if you do, try a small sample in out of sight area first

Think about it, if you had a heavy obscure pattern like Cotswold and the lead feature was on the inside you would not see it, also lead will darken with age. This then takes you onto the low e or k glass bit where this was meant to be glazed to the inside but if you had a leaded obscure unit how would this work as it's the clear side that gets leaded, listen to me waffling on of topic ..sorry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back