Increase mains flow to 20-30l/s

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a top floor flat in an old building consisting of 5 flats in total, situated on a hill. Currently, we have a 15mm copper pipe water supply leading up to our kitchen and I have measured 14l/min flow from the kitchen sink and ~3bar static pressure and ~2.5bar working pressure when opening all other taps in the flat.

We would optimally want to increase our water flow to at least 20l/min or more so we can fit a proper unvented system or storage combi (have been looking at Viessmann 222-F). Presuming that the piping to the house is bad I have been looking at two options:

1. Convince the whole freehold to upgrade the main pipe from street to house to say 63mm and exchange the 15mm internal piping for 35mm leading up to the flat.

2. Add a new main of say 35mm to just our flat to separate the connection to the rest of the house.

Option 1 seems more logical and price-effective (if the rest of freehold agrees) however one of the plumbers mentioned that a shared main may not help even if the pipe is wider if you are the top flat in the building as the users below you can use up the water before it gets to our flat.

What would you recommend?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You've got 2.5bar pressure with all taps running at full flow, but only 14l/min? Where are you measuring your pressure in this instance? Those figures sound unlikely to me but if this really is the case then I'd suggest you've got a restriction somewhere within your flat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back