Indesit BA 13 Fridge is freezing and light bulb is burning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

I would appreciate some advice.

I have a Indesit BA 13 fridge. Manual here: http://imagebank.indesitcompany.co....ndesit/Refrigeration/BA13UK_19504024502gb.pdf

I bought it second hand and have discovered some problems.

1) The fridge has been freezing even on its warmest setting.
2) The light bulb of the fridge seems to be burning.

I bought a new light to check it was coming on and going off as it should do upon opening the door. I fixed this so it works.

I replaced the bulb for the light because I thought the warmth of the light may increase the fridge temperature such that it no longer freezes, but the new bulb seems to be getting very hot and burning the plastic inside. It looks like the previous owners had the same problem given the damage. I bought a 15W 240V light, same as previous owners bulb. Everywhere I look, it says 15W for a fridge light, maybe the voltage of the bulb is too high or low?

The 'radiator' black panel at the back of the fridge seems warm and I assume it is therefore working properly.

At the back of the fridge there is a black hole (shown by picture). I wonder if something is missing from here? A fan or something?

Any advice welcomed. I've tried the things that seem most obvious to me. I am willing to do whatever to try and get it working.

I have attached photos - I hope you can see them. They are in my album if not.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I bought a new light to check it was coming on and going off as it should do upon opening the door. I fixed this so it works.

My guess is that it was staying on and warming the temperature sensor causing the fridge to over cool. Check that it goes off just before the door closes

the new bulb seems to be getting very hot and burning the plastic inside
Take it out and leave it out. See if the overcooling still happens

Everywhere I look, it says 15W for a fridge light, maybe the voltage of the bulb is too high or low?
seems right, voltage will be correct; the only other bulbs you could buy with an incorrect voltage ould burn out in a few moments anyway

The 'radiator' black panel at the back of the fridge seems warm and I assume it is therefore working properly
Well, it indicates the cooling is working.. ;)

At the back of the fridge there is a black hole (shown by picture). I wonder if something is missing from here? A fan or something?
No, this is the drain hole that any condensing water forming on the back plane of the fridge will escape through. it goes down to a tray that sts above the fridge compressor where it is warmed and evaporates to the atmosphere in your kitchen. Fridges naturally dry the air inside them as a consequence of how they work

see if it runs properly with the bulb out..if so, i'd be tempted to just leave it out..

Thanks for your reply.

Just to clarify. The bulb was out while it was freezing.

I had to get a new bulb because the previous owners bulb had burnt out. The new bulb seemed unnecessarily hot, so I took it out again.

Today I will experiment by keeping the bulb in/on - The heat from the bulb could well warm the fridge up.

If this isn't the problem though. What would be? Thermostat?

Sponsored Links
Probably need a new stat and the light bulb should have a reflective metal or foil above it to avoid damage by heat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back