Indesit WD12x washing machine odour problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For some time now, perhaps about 6 months, my integrated washing machine has been giving off nasty odour during the spin cycle.

I have tried the following things to solve this problem over the months:

• I have removed and cleaned the waste pipes that join the sink. (I've been unable to remove the actual waste pipe from the washing machine so far due to it being integrated)
    ran several 90 degree washing with baking soda
    90 degree washes with vinegar
    90 degree washes with baking soda and vinegar together
    Ran the instructed 60 degree wash with Dr Beckmann's "Service it"
    Even tried Calgon water softening tablets (despite living in Scotland) as a last resort, another waste of money...

Only today after having another look at the manual under the section "Important for the safe use of your washer-dryer" I noticed the line: The appliance door, during wash cycles, tends to become hot. I put my hand on the door of the washing machine during a cycle and there was no heat ont he door at all.

As far as I was aware the washing machine was working properly apart from having this dreadful odour problem.

Is it possible the heating element is not working as it should. If so is it easily replaced? Or is there possibly another reason for this lack of heat/odour?

Sponsored Links
Check the heater should be 30 ohms ish. Remove rear cover and heater is At the bottom of the drum.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

I'm not sure I follow. I can't really get to the back of the washing machine due to it being integrated.

However I found a couple of videos about replacing the heating element, albeit on other models of washing machines, and in each video the heating element seems to be at the front of the washing machine at the bottom of the drum.

What should I be looking for at the back and how do I check the ohms?

Apologies in advance if I'm being a bit daft.

Edit: Just realised there are washing machines with a back access. So all I really need to know is how to check the ohms?

You have to pull it out unless your a limbo dancer , then look at the back and there's a large oval panel with 6 screws in it remove them then the heater is down the bottom of the drum. Different mcs have heaters in different places, yours is at the BACK. Then get a meter set on ohms or a continuity tester and put it on the heater tags with the wires on the heater unplugged. It should read 30 ish ohms if not it's goosed.

Sponsored Links
Good point.. :oops:

Ok brilliant I shall get my hands on one of those ohms bad boys.

Thanks for your help rocks1.

Can you tell me is a whiteish substance around heating element entrance is something I should be concerned about?

It's limescale / old soap powder that's why you should do regular boil washes with White vinegar.

that was the problem, no hot water. So I should attempt to remove this white stuff which seems to have melted to the metal entrance before fitting the new element?

It's very hard to remove.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back