Indoor Birdhouse with Aluminium Frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm new here and also new to DIY. Basically I want to build an indoor birdhouse. I have sketched some designs and thought about sizes and some materials but I would really appreciate your thoughts.

Here are the design pics so far...

aviary6.jpg

aviary6side.jpg

aviary6sections.jpg

aviary6sections2.jpg

I have thought of building the frame from aluminium (I have found a local supplier of aluminium rods etc) and then add ply wood for the sides and top etc.

My specific question is, how can I use aluminium rods to make a frame? How would the ply wood fit to the frame? Could I use screws for holding the frame together or would it have to be welded?

Any advice would be helpful. If you know of any other aluminium frame projects on the web I would be very interested in having a look.

Thank you in advance,

Chris

Sponsored Links
Why is that pete? It is 4 times larger than any conventional cage, it provides a more consistent environment than that of conventional indoor cages, it allows for 180degree visuals of what is happening outside of the birdhouse (They can see through 3 of the 4 sides and have well ventilated air through the bars etc) and for 5 hours a day they wont even be inside, they will be out in the open in the house probably pinching my salad from my plate.

Which concerns you the most?

Why not use the chrome plated tubing that is available from your local diy store (the stuff that is used for rails in wardrobes). End fitting are readily available, these would allow you to attach to top and bottom. You could then run a batten around to secure the sides to.

Sponsored Links
nlpmaster1974...I am not going to get into any animal rights issues.

I suspect you are making this project harder for yourself by your choice of aluminium which is hard to work with.

May I suggest an alternative method for you to consider using plywood.

I'd use 4 sheets(plus the floors) of 8x4 plywood instead. Take each piece and cut out a square section (windows if you like)on the top part, leave at least 3" either side. Mark and cut out any bottom doors the same way. You now have 4 of these which can be joined together in the corners with 2x2(planed) and screws (so you can dismantle at any time). Use the same fixing method for the top and any floors. Make your doors from the bottom cut outs which if done well will be square and match for grain pattern. I think tapered legs and shelves may be both easier and look better though.

You now need some square steel mesh (stainless is best but expensive)try the likes of these for this.

http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/

Fix the mesh with say 2x2 which will also make the sides rigid at the same time. You will have to devise a door for cleaning on at least one side using a similar method.

A project like this will cost quite a bit to actually do so I would consider using oak faced (or similar) ply and a hardwood trim to cover the corners and windows, which is expensive, but you will end up with something that looks far more like furniture this way(if done well).

Aim to make it in 4 parts which can be taken apart (like a flat pack) in case you move house in the future.

By sticking with wood you will make life much easier for yourself in my opinion.This would still be quite a big project though and I would think you may need 2 people to do it.

Hi David and Julie,

Thank you very very much for your detailed reply. I am new to DIY but have a great friend who can help me once I know exactly how I would like to do this.

I have printed your advice as it sounds much easier for me, I cannot thank you enough. Also for not getting into an animal rights brawl, I needed to reply to the above statement because of how I feel about my birds but that is it now).

I have actually started the project yesterday. I have some 2x1.5 with heavy duty castors attached and I have attached the 2x1.5 to the two side panels just .5" from the bottom (So you cannot see the castors easily but they do not catch the sides when rotating). I still need to cut the 'Windows' etc. but will do that soon.

One concern that I have is when there is water within the bird room section. I would like them to be able to bathe within the unit rather than having them trying to dive under the tap water when I am washing the dishes. My concern is how will the wood respond if it gets a few small splashes twice a week? Should I put a low level border inside of perspex or will the wood be able to cope alone? Are there any non-toxic paints I could use for this on the wooden side panels below the 'Windows'?

Thank you once again very much in advance.

Chris

nlpmaster1974 said:
My concern is how will the wood respond if it gets a few small splashes twice a week? Should I put a low level border inside of perspex or will the wood be able to cope alone? Are there any non-toxic paints I could use for this on the wooden side panels below the 'Windows'?
Just has a thought, I was wondering is it possible to use Pure Tung Oil which have no additives. Tung Oil is highly water-resistant and does not blister and peel compare to non-toxic paint. BUT please check with the manufacter supplier if it's suitable and will not harm your birds.

Talking about harming the birds. I would also avoid the galvanised or Zinc coated mesh too. The birds will be pecking it and I am not sure if it would harm them.

Mesh is availablle in uncoated mild steel which is cheaper but not as good as stainless really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back