Industrial unit guttering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

One of my friends has a small industrial unit with a pitched roof. On one side, the roof slopes down to a rectangular gutter which is bounded by a parapet on the outside and the sloping roof on the inside. The gutter is therefore inside the building wall and when it leaks it leaks into the building.

Like this:

\
\
|____|

The gutter is about 8 inches deep by 12 inches wide.

If you look underneath from within the building it appears to made of rectangular sections of galvanised steel sheet.

It is leaking from where the sheets join. On the roof the gutter appears to be lined with some sort of plaster or concrete material. The condition of it looks good but there are two or three hairline cracks in it, running across from the roof side to the wall side.

I'm guessing that the water is getting in the cracks and making its way down to the joins in the steel sheeting.

I was thinking of fixing it by applying a heavy coat of hot tar to the upper plastered surface of the gutter but am not sure if this is how its done professionally.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Wilson.

Sponsored Links
Buy a drum of Acrypol and line the gutter with it.

acrypol-%2B.gif

Sponsored Links
seems to me like you have a asbestos/cement gutter with a sheet metal casing on the inside - Get up on the parapet wall _ Don`t put your weight on the gutter or the roof :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back