Info about the underground electric cables to my house (doing groundwork / fencing)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Call me stupid or naive and its quite possible you might be right! We are doing some groundwork in our house at the moment and will soon be doing more, as well as having a fence put up some new fencing.

I was lying in bed this morning when I had the sudden thought and panic that the electricity to the house comes from an underground feed. I made provision for water, sewage (septic tank), and oil but totally forgot to consider electricity. I have no idea where it comes from nor what part of the garden it crosses.

So I wondered if there is any way I can find out? I don't think it is in any of the house conveyancing paperwork we have.... Will someone somewhere have the details?

Also, how far down would the wiring have to be? And how protected would the cabling be (and with what)? The last thing I want to do/want the fencer to do is dig down into live cable, so I thought it best I look into this right away.

Any help or info greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Max

Sponsored Links
And if they don't have a map they will probably come out and scan the site for you.

Remember that as well as your own house services, depending on age and position of the house, there may be mains services as well. You don't want to dig into a pressurised main sewer or kV electric main.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back