Wiring under ground to front boundary

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have arranged for a block paving driveway to be installed and new fences erected. It has been suggested to me that after the old drive has been removed by the groundwork contractors I lay sufficient SWA cable from the house to the front boundary in case I ever need lighting, sensors or even an electric powered gate. The front boundary is approx 17 metres from the garage and another 5 metres or so to the unit. I have no plans to connect it up at the moment.

This seems a very good idea. My research so far is to lay SWA 2.5mm 2 core. Do I need to put it in conduit or PVC pipe. Do I need an earthing cable?

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you.

David

Sponsored Links
That would be ok for lighting (though i'd preffer 3 core to give a dedicated earth wire) but if you want sensors or an electic gate you will need more wiring.

My advice would be to put in a duct with a draw rope, you can then pull in whatever cables are needed as and when you need them.

I think a lot of wholesalers have stopped stocking the smaller sizes of 2 core swa.

As Plugwash says though install a duct and drawrope then the world is your lobster.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for your recommendations.

The groundwork contractor is ordering and installing flexible ducting during the preparatory work. I had better keep watch to ensure a drawrope is inserted otherwise I'll be in the mire.

David

if youwant electric gates with motors on both sides, you will need a duct to the other upright aswell

You can get ducting with a string already in it which can be used to pull in a more substantial draw cord when needed.

Just to inform you that ducts have been installed by the contractors and job finished.

Thank you all for your tips

David

Or a hungry ferret at one end, with the string tied to him, and a nice bit of chicken at the other.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back