info required. which end is flow or return?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello i want to remove my radiator. one end has a thermostat, which end is likely to be the return end? and which end the flow?
cheers

Sponsored Links
it can be either end , to check turn the heating on and whatever pipe gets hot first is the flow and the other the return.
However most TRVs are bi directional and can be fitted on the flow or return, They usally have arrows on the side of the valve that indicates flow , or if they are bi directional

sorry the thermo end with the arrow is getting hotter first.
the reason im taking the rad off is because it dont get that hot especially at the bottom. any ideas?
im going to flush it and hope that works.
i have tried to balance it the best i can but no good.

Sponsored Links
cold at the bottom is poor flow, especially if clogged with sediment or if the pipework is poorly designed (esp with a rad that was added on later). A very good way is to take off the rad (turn it over immediately so that the open ends are at the top before you carry it outside) and flush it through with a garden hose.

verify that both the valves have good, unobstructed flow

if you have black sludge/sediment it will be all over your system, including in the boiler, not just in the one rad.

Have a look in the Feed & Expansion tank in the loft (if you have one) and bale out any mud to prevent it being drawn down into the radiators.

You can get a chemical which loosens sludge so that you run the circulating pump for a few weeks and it will stir up the sediment and carry it round in the water, so that a lot of it comes out when you drain and flush. I have used Sentinel X400 which will cost you about £15 and is one of the best.

If you can afford an extra £100 and do basic plumbing, a Magnaclean is wonderful at trapping circulating black sludge.

It is essential to use an inhibitor such as X100 on refill.

thanks for your advice.
i have a worcester combi boiler, so no tank in the attic.
im going to take the rad off soon and flush so hope it works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back