Infra Red v Fan Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently just installed a UPVC cladded ceiling in the bath/shower room which is splash proof only.

I have no form of heating (although I do have an extractor fan) in the bath/shower room so decided to install a high positioned wall mounted heater. Only probelm is I don't know which one to purchase, i.e. the Infra Red (1.5kw) or the downflow Fan heater (1kw or 2kw choice at installation).

There is not enough space to install a slimline/convector heater on the wall nearer the floor. So the heater needs to by high mounted and I don't prefer the skirting heaters.

As heat rises I am concerened that the whole ceiling may melt away with the Infra Red heater, or maybe not, and the fan heater blows the heat downwards but will make a racket.

Not sure which one would be more suitable, please advise.

Sponsored Links
Bit of a tricky one.....all depends on the ceiling and what temperature it can go up to before it melts........but personally, no matter what heater your going to put in I think it will warp........unless.......have you considered under floor heating ;)

I would always go for the downflow fan heater. I think those infra-red heater are nasty, nasty things. They belong in the last century - exposed glowing elements? How 1930's!!!. About time the regs banned them in my view.

Dimplex do a fantastic fan heater - the FX-20 - I've fitted loads over the years. They can be switched down to 1kW for smaller rooms. because the heat is being blown downwards, I personally very much doubt they would warp the ceiling - it should be able to withstand mild heat (the heater will be mounted a foot below the cieling anyway). As for the noise, they aren't that noisy, especially as they won't be on for long. An infra-red would transfer a huge amount of heat directly upwards - I think it would melt a UPVC cieling.

Have alook here: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Heating_Index/Fan_Heaters_3/index.html

have a good one

P

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back