Inherited alarm advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved and have inherited quite an old alarm system.
This Regent panel, keypad, panic button, external bell box, internal speaker and PIRs in the master bedroom and sitting room.

No codes were passed from the previous owners who never used the system as it was installed prior to them.

Looking at the panel it is wired up with 5 zones populated, am i missing some sensors that may have been removed? I guess the 2 PIRs and 1 panic button are a zone each?

I am probably going to replace this as I would like a system that I can monitor remotely. From reading several posts on this board I have decided on a Honeywell Galaxy G2-12 panel, MK7 proximity keypad and an LCE-01-4 ethernet IP module. I would also like to add more PIRs and door sensors, if I add the Galaxy RF Portal could I just add wireless versions of these?

Does this seem a good option overall? Would i be able to replace the panel and keypad using the existing wiring?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes, the Galaxy panel will replace this nicely. The Galaxy keypad is a little bit smaller, so you may have some decorating rework afterwards.

The Galaxy panel is probably the cheapest option for IP with new G2-12's coming in at around the £30 mark on Ebay. Keypads costing a little bit more.

You will need a C079 RF portal. If you buy from Ebay, then make sure it's a C079 (the C077 doesn't do dual protocol, so doesn't work with all sensors). As the G2-12 panel supports 12 hardwired zones, you can mix and match any of the 12 programming as wireless.

Wiring should be fine to re-use as the zone terminals are in the same position as your old panel. Buy a new 7Ah battery and external sounder, as they're probably past their sell by date too.

If the previous owners haven't used the system and have decorated, then it's likely that they've removed sensors. Just check the wiring to each zone, if the cable has a power feed, then it's likely a PIR or Vibration detector.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back