Inhibitor

JSM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

When my house was built four years ago the plumber put in an inhibitor to the central heating but does not know what type. I suspect that I have a very, very slight leak in the system somewhere but obviously I can never top up the inhibitor because I don't know what type to use and I do know that different types should not be mixed.

Is there a period after which it is safe to introduce a new inhibitor without it 'clashing with the original? (For example, does the original lose its strength?) (Or, is that a daft question?)

Many thanks for any advice you can offer.

Jim

Sponsored Links
If he was a half decent plumber it would have either been Sentinel X100 or Fernox. I'd just lob some of that into one of the rads upstairs, you'll be fine.

and stick the label on the boiler to remind you

and old trick is to bleed some radiator water into a jamjar and put a nail in it, to see if it goes rusty aftera few weeks

If in a jam jar of water, how will it rust if completely immersed :confused:

Sponsored Links
you can leave the jar half empty, and give it a shake first thing

if you leave the lid off it will be about the same as in an open F&E

You sound like you have never seen a bit of metal go rusty :LOL: it's not difficult

Hi

You need another Jar with tap water as a control.
Leave about a week.

HTH

ok this is all in the diy easy work type of job.
first why do you think you have a leak,this is actually very important.
is your system a sealed system or open vented ?.
if i suspected a water leak on my system,i would drain down the complete system.then add sentinal x100 & their internal leak sealer,via what type of system you have.
job done.

Many thanks, everyone. Johnfox, I think there is a leak because I am having to top up about four times a year when I have been advised that twice is normal. It is a sealed system.

The correct way is usually the most nuisance. If I drain down, etc. is this the sort of operation where you get air locks and the plumber has to spend the day wandering all over the house adjusting radiators, etc.?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back