Install A dvd re-writer ?

• Thread starter confidentincompetent
  • Start date
C

confidentincompetent

HI. I am considering fitting an internal dvd rewriter and also a video capture card/ firewire port so I can play about with my mini dv camcorder.
Is it just a case of replacing dvd re-writer with existing dvd rom ?
I've got AMD Atholon xp 1500.
40 gb
256 ram. windows xp sp2

I will only be doing holidays and stuff. would the 1500 processor be able to cope??
Thanks
John

Sponsored Links
Yes, you could just remove the CD drive and replace with the DVD writer, plus any software that you need to record etc. Check that the master/slave jumper matches that of the old device. If you case has the capacity, you could also fit it as an additional device, Just make sure that one is set to master and the other to slave by adjusting the jumpers on the back.

I would need to know a little more about the machine to give a proper judgement, but I would recommend you upgrade your system memory to at least 512K if you are going to be doing graphic work. The hard disk is also on the small side by todays standard, but again, you can upgrade as you need.

Processor wise, I would say borderline and a processor upgrade may improve things, however, it really all depends on the full match. Upgrading just the processor, may give you bottle necks in the graphics department. Also, your 40GB drive is probably of the slower variety. Depending on your budget, I would keep the machine asis (with maybe a memory upgrade) and then consider a new base unit when the time is right. There are some real bargains to be had which are generally more cost effective.

Many thanks Igorian for your detailed reply. I take your point on better to get a new p/c, they seem cheap just now and so powerful. Anyhow Your answer has spurred me on to put in a dvd rewriter and a video card, as p/c is 4yrs old now I'm itchin to delve inside and have a fiddle.
Ill check out memory but wont get too ambitious just yet :)
The mini dv cam was an unwanted pressie. Wife didn't take hint that a new p/c is nearly as cheap as a camcorder (bless) :rolleyes:
Thanks again

John

i found "pinacle studio" is good editing s/w i have version 8, but 9 is out now

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that breezer. I'll see how i get on with, erm doyou call it entry level? windows movie maker.
I have just fitted new DVD RW.
In my original post I omitted to say I had also a CD RW. anyhow I got a new dvd rw which is also a CD RW. I changed jumper to master on new dvd rw and left cd rw jumper in slave (where it already was) All seems to be working ok. Though am a little confused with instructions regarding swopping ied cables to secondry/primary sockets on Motherboard. ( maybe I was lucky and they didnt need changing, ahem ).
One thing bugging me Is the headphone sockets in new dvd and original cd rw dont work. The new dvd rw has an audio cable which I can see how it fits to into dvd but am a little wary of plugging other end into a green socket on motherboard which is same as on dvd.
Anyhow thanks again Igorian.

the good thing about a pc is the 99% of plugs will only fit one way and one place.

your confusion about the IDE cable is as follows

there are 2 IDE sockets primary & secondary

each IDE cable can have up to 2 devices, (4 "positions" in total)

the Hard drive, must be on the primary IDE cable and jumper set to MA (master) the cd, cdrw, dvd, dvdrw (you get the idea) can go on any of the remaining 3 available postitions

but if you are taking out a cd (etc etc) drive then installing a new drive it is easier to put it on the primary IDE cable and set its jumper to SL (slave)

for what its worth, i have

main hd (on primay IDE cable), CD drive on primary cable

another hard drive (partitioned thanks to Igorian) set as ma on secondary IDE cable and a dvd/rw also n secondary cable (but set to sl)

also on some pc's the little grey round cable you have coming from your dvd/rw drive plugs directly onto the sound card

dvd rw

p.s, i dont think much to ms movie maker, it does what it says on the tin, but came with xp, better get a proper editing prog.

oh and dont worry video converting can take some time for your pc to actualy do (and i have firewire)

Thanks Breezer I think I got the meesage now with ide.
I just put a firewire port/ vidieo card in pc and device manager says device is working ok, but But my p/c wont detect camera :cry: (why me) anyhow have got in touch with comet and they want me to take cam in to test it.
perhaps I ought to stick to decorating :oops:
I've been away so late reply to your last info.

i have to ask the obvious, have you installed the software for your camera or any software, when i installed pinacle studio, a little camcorder appears that works just like the real thing, so i can stop, play rewind the camcorder so pinacle studio can record it, it didnt work too well without pinacle.

other software editing programmes are available

breezer said:
i have to ask the obvious, have you installed the software for your camera or any software, when i installed pinacle studio,

Actually this jvc cam had no software for Video only for still photo from memory card. (wife bought it :rolleyes: ) Though it has a firewire socket. I just presumed that it should play with sofware like movie maker/ or the software that was bundled with video card (cheap :oops: ).
The box says dv in/out.
The still picture/memory card is ok and windows detected camera on usb side and have got pics onto p/c. (Quite good actually).

Anyhow will see what comet have to say. Though am thinking perhaps I got videocard/firewire tooo cheap. But bloke at comet says he will test cam on his p/c for me.
I was intending to see how p/c works out with this cam and movie maker before I get some serious editing s/ware.

Thanks. will let you know what happens.

Not a great camera user, but you may have to set an option to tell the camera which interface it is using.

Igorian said:
Not a great camera user, but you may have to set an option to tell the camera which interface it is using.

Sorry I dont know that much Igorian. Do you mean switch camera to dv in/out ??.

The cam is set to out by default I did try to see what would happen set to IN but still not detected by p/c.
I'm hoping comet can't get it to work on theirs.
Thanks all for your help to date. Hope I'm not making a nusiance of myself :oops:

No, I was thinking more of a menu option on the camera. It may be that you have to tell it to use the firewire interface as opposed to the USB.

confidentincompetent said:
Hope I'm not making a nusiance of myself

Nah, we a patient bunch down here.

Hi. Pleased to report thatcamcorder was faulty :LOL: and they replaced no quibble:cool:. New 1 worked (plug and play) strait away. But as you guys mentioned earlier low mem/ processor etc need to be upgraded. Think I will seee what wife will get me xmas :rolleyes: thanks again
just packing for hol see you laters :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back