Bought a pc from a friend for my father in law. It has:-

AMD 3800 dual core
4 sticks of kingston memory totalling 1.5gb
ECS kn1 sli mobo
160 gig hd - not sure of spec
DVD/CD Writer - not sure of spec
256mb pci express vid card
sound card

Friend (and he is genuine so I have no reason to doubt him) had no issues, but it freezes randomly for me. I say randomly seems to be whenever PC has plenty to think about i.e. large data transfer from usb2 drive.

So far, have reinstalled XP sp2, lifted memory and tried each stick one by one. Updated the bios, checked bios settings against recommended in mobo manual. Originally thought the issue was with USB 2.0, so changed to USB 1.0 in bios and seemed fine transfering data, but has same issue running other activities so not this. Jumpers on mobo fine. Tried driver software re-insital form mobo disc. No obvious issues in device mgr.

Replaced cpu fan as it was noisey, used compound etc. Temperatures are fine, all below 40 deg c. Did find a stability problem with psu, so changed it today for a new 450 watt unit and checked and remade all connectors inc those to mobo, HD, CD, etc, this has sorted the psu issue.

But still freezing, no bsod, just screen freezes, no mouse, keyboard operation. Seems to be dumping various event issues 3001, 3011, regularly 7023. Haven't run memtest as I tried each mem strip separately and got the same issue, so can't see this as a mem problem. Reads CDs without problem. Tried virus check no reported problems.

Friend wiped HD and did a fresh install of xp sp2, this seems to be when the issue started, all above have been done since and have made no impact. otherwise good quick(ish) pc. Was running xp2 sp2 before when my friend had it, he built the pc about 4 years ago.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

There are a few things i would try, first is the computer clean no dust on anything be carefull if it needs cleaning static can kill the Pcs.

Secondly have you changed the Cmos battery? this can be overlooked

Lastly it could be a software conflict see how you get on.

Lee

Hi

Thanks for the advise. Yes, inside was very clean friend spent some serious time cleaning. Consequently I spent time on a visual check for any accidental damage, or disturbed connections. All seems good.

Haven't thought about the battery, agree might be worth a change, would also clear the cmos at the same time.

Leaning towards software, but it's driving me nuts !

Have BIOS overclocking settings been overset? Reset BIOS to STANDARD, a friend selling you something often turns out to be your worst enemy...so beware they might be aware of the issue, and 'got rid' to you, as they knew it was a pony? Overclocking setting in the past, reset, would also cause current issues, as the chip has burned out. So good friend to sell it to you after they broke it.

Sponsored Links
Run the PC and use programs to make it freeze. Shutdown PC quickly at this point and enter BIOS by pressing Del or F2 key while booting. For some PC this key can be different. But normally F2 or delete key allows you to enter BIOS. Load BIOS defaults. In BIOS for some PC there is an option something like "PC Helth monitor". Go to that one and see what the CPU temperature is. Normally the temperature I have observed in PCS are 40 to 60 degree C. If the CPU temperature is something like 70 to 80 degress then you will have to apply thermal paste. You will have to take out the heat sink and clean the CPU and heat sink with isopropyle alcohol. Clean very nicely. Apply very thin layer of thermal paste on the CPU core and on the Heat sink. Now attach the heat sink. It will bring temperature down. The PC will not freeze.

If the problem is not solved then there are two other options:
1. The graphics card replacement. GPU temperature may be high. Not very expensive. You can get one for 20 quid or so.
2. The North Bridge IC or South Bridge IC in the motherboard has dry contact. In this case you will have to replace motherboard. Not very expensive as well if it is an old motherboard. can get one for 20 to 30 quid from ebay.

I belive that your CPU temperature is going high. If you apply thermal paste your problem may be solved.

Regards,
SU

Further to what su says, you can download live performance monitors, that sits in the taskbar, or run task manager, and monitor processes, and cpu usage..

I was scared that I'd overclocked my videocard too much, and ran these all the time, but in the end, they were dragging any extra benefit, due to excess processes being run.

So just run msconfig, from start menu, and disable anything that isn't required to start up, (ie all of them), then add back, as to what is required?

But you seem to have a pretty good spec system, run msconfig, download ccleaner (there are loads of clone sites for this now, so make sure the download is a good one), adaware, defrag, and scandisk. Or just wipe it, and reinstall fresh.

A lockup like that is usually hardware, and usually memory related (though I've had a vintage Radeon 9500pro cause BSODs and constant reboots recently)

I'm guessing if you lifted each memory stick in turn and tried them one by one, you plugged into the same slot on the mobo each time? It's not unknown for a slot to go bad on the mobo - though IIRC AMD 3800s had the memory controller on the CPU itself, so it might even be a failing CPU.

Boot Memtest86 from CD and let it run for a while with all memory sticks in all the slots. If it doesnt show errors within the first pass you can probably rule out Memory sticks, motherboard and CPU.

Other things to try

Wild guesses

have run run the hard drive test tool from the makers of the drive?

Alternatively run Ubuntu as a live cd and see if that is happy or not- it will leave windoes as is and not change anything.

Sponsored Links
Back