Install of Soil Vent Pipe (too far from wall?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am about to install a new SVP to the side of the house. The Branch that I am using has a push-fit connector which forces the location that I want to put the SVP away from the wall.

I don't really want to move the SVP and have the soil coming in from the side. I am not sure if I can/should bury the connection in the wall to push it closer (leaks inside cavity?!)

I have been told that there is not problem installing like I am and then using a s-bend to pull the upper part of the SVP closer to the wall.

The pipes shown are on top of an extension and will never really be seen but I want to make sure I do it the best way possible.

There is a fall on all pipes (photos are a bit deceiving)

Any advise would be appreciated....

Sponsored Links
There normally closer and the fitting ends up in the wall. But if it's on the roof not to be seen and you feel better about it there's no harm, just put a couple of 45 degree bends above to bring it back to the wall.

If I was doing it I would yes, but it will work exactly the same and if you are happy with it and it won't be seen in the end it doesn't matter

Sponsored Links
will you be cutting a hole in the flat roof for soil pipe If you are you will need to check which way the ceiling joist run and what thickness they are as that could determine the position of soilpipe

Thanks for that, the beams run parallel to the wall and their position would allow me to put the horizontal pipe in either location.

I am tempted, now having seen it on several other properties to push it back into the wall. Just wanted to ensure that it would be OK to do that.

Generally you want to cut the 4" pipe that is coming through the wall to be flush with the outside wall. This way the fitting will sit in the wall a bit but should be the perfect distance for clipping the vent.

I will be using an external AAV, so will need to make sure it is far enough from wall for it to fit comfortably (not be wedged against wall) - thanks for the tip RE: cutting "vertical" soil flush with wall.

I think for missing any flat roof timber & for ease of sealing the flat roof it's better projecting out as shown, you can always put a couple of 45s to bring the SVP back to the wall....😜

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back