Installation of humidistat fan

str

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to have a bathroom extraction fan installed and have been advised that it should be a humidistat controlled one. It is actually for a wc rather than a full bathroom.

I will have an electrician fit it but jut want to understand what will be required?

Does the fan need an isolation switch fitted? If so does it need to be in a certain location?

Can the power source be taken from the power to the lights or will it need to be taken from the fuse board?

Sponsored Links
Whoever told you that you need a humidistat controlled fan in a wc is talking out of their ar$3. Think about it - it would only come on if the humidity was at the set level which may not be when you want to remove odours !

cheers for that.

it was actually a damp company that advised this.

we have an issue with a moldy smell, although no sign of damp and no cause and as there is currently no ventilation in the wc and its not heated, the assumption was that warm air is being drawn to the wc from the rest of the house, creating moisture?! :confused:

One of these and a wall mounted thermostat would be a good idea.

If you have got problems with damp because warm moist air is getting into an unheated room do you think it will get better or worse when you put a fan in which will actively suck warm moist air into it?

Sponsored Links
thing is it has never been heated and have no problems for the past 6/7 years with moldy smells.

we had a damp patch on the inside fot eh external wall due to guttering coming off the roof, but this is all fixed and the damp patch completely dried out - the damp surveyor couldnt get any real readings.

the "room" is only just over 1m by 1m so not large and not overly cold but i can see what you mean by the fact that an extractor would draw the warm air through the space

I'd struggle to recommend Humidstat fans based on my experience. Cheap one (bent metal strip approach) is OK but the much more expensive Expelair one has been a nightmare - it will switch on with ambient humidity on it's lowest setting (ie with the window open!).

Expelair's response was just to send us out another (which showed the same fault) and then another, and another. We had about 6 at one point. Currently disabled.

Would be a nightmare in your toilet as you'd be intentionally running it very close to ambient humidity anyway.

holmslaw

thanks, hadn't considered insulating the external wall - I assume you mean on the internal side :confused:

given space is at a premium as the wc is already small, what would be the "slimmest" way of insulating the wall?

Also, would I need to include a vapour barrier or something to prevent the build up of moisture behind the insulation level?

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back