Installing a bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've read the how to from this site but have some questions.

My bath is a double ended acrlyic, 1700x695mm.

It has a pair of cradle stands, and between them you are suppsoed to attach a base board, which then has a centre foot from base board, and one from each corner of cradle, height adjustable as usual.

What thickness and width should I be using for the baseboard? The instructions have no particulars!

Also, having 5 feet to spread the load, do I still need to put batons under the feet, across the floorboards, or will it be fine straight onto the floor?

Finally, is there an average height for a bath?

As it is straight on the floor, it could be installed to a finsihed height from 530-620mm, the old bath was 630mm high but had been raised up quite a lot as it was installed on top of 2-3" timber. Not really sure why!!

Sponsored Links
Hallsy said:
I've read the how to from this site but have some questions.

My bath is a double ended acrlyic, 1700x695mm.

I have never knowingly seen a single ended bath ???
It has a pair of cradle stands, and between them you are suppsoed to attach a base board, which then has a centre foot from base board, and one from each corner of cradle, height adjustable as usual.

What thickness and width should I be using for the baseboard? The instructions have no particulars!

I have only seen baths with that built in. Usually 18 mm chipboard!
Also, having 5 feet to spread the load, do I still need to put batons under the feet, across the floorboards, or will it be fine straight onto the floor?

Finally, is there an average height for a bath?

Usually to match tiles and decor. Otherwise in the mid range of adjustment perhaps?

Thanks for that, well by double ended I should've said central waste/taps :)

I'll set the height to suit decor then, as that is why I'm asking!! I need to buy some tiles and am trying to work out how many!!

So should I still spread the load across the feet, or just put is straight down onto the floorboards?

As I read the instructions the baseboard won't touch the floor, it just braces the cradle legs and allows the fitment of a centre foot.

I'll get some 18mm chipboard then :) Might even have some old T&G chipboard kicking about somewhere.

As for jacking the old bath up, god knows, the whole bathroom was a bodge!! Glad to have got rid of it!

Sponsored Links
Height of the panel I presume?

I'll be doing my own panel but it gives me a guide :)

Never seen a bath where they told you to put an extra panel under it! :eek:

It's normal to put blocks of wood under the feet to keep the extended length of wobbly screw thread short. Whether it makes any difference I don't know!

Keep the bath low if you have the option (waste might have to run underneath...) It's easy to fall over when stepping out of a high bath - a couple of inches feels a lot more.

Yeah, I was thinking that keeping the feet unwound was a bnetter idea for stability.

I think all tyhe baseboard is foor is to allow use of a centre foot and spread the load some more.

It's an eastbrook bath if that meansc anything.

One other thing, is this baseboard supposed to sit tight against the bottom of the bath?

I thought it was just to use a centre leg, bu tmy dad said he thought it should be wedged between the bottom of the bath and the cradle legs, and so add to support the bath itself.

Any ideas?

:oops: :oops: :oops:

I'm a bit of a plumb!

When I got the bath out in the open to fit it, it soon became apparent that the baseboard was part of tha bath and had just been resined over!!

Nevermind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back