Installing a new aerial - how do I position it ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to my house extension, I have had to take down my old TV aerial, and so am taking the opportunity to upgrade it from the ‘Contractor’ job that has been up there for the last 45 years.

I have got a new aerial, pole and chimney lashing kit, and I am just after some tips on how to get it positioned correctly.

I fitted the chimney bracket yesterday, and so the next job is going to be getting the aerial itself in place.

I am planning on fitting the aerial and pole to the bracket, and then pointing the aerial in the same direction as the others in the road. Then with that in place, I will get the cable through into the loft, and tune in an old analogue TV to get the best picture possible.

Once I have got a good picture, I will tighten up the pole clamps, fit the splitter in the loft and run the coax down to the rooms it needs to go to.

Are there any tricks of the trade that will make positioning the aerial any easier?
I am guessing that I aim it in roughly the same direction as the others in the road, and then move it a couple of degrees at a time until I get a good picture, and if that doesn’t work, drop the pole down a bit and try again.

I always used to get a good picture from the old aerial for Analogue, so I know what I am aiming for picture wise.

I could use the Digital TV to tune the position, but that will involve running coax all the way to the lounge, and I don’t need that long term.

With it all installed and tuned to analogue, I will get a set top box for the old analogue TV, and my daughter can have it in her room.

For reference, I have got a Log Periodic Aerial, and I am using the Crystal Palace Transmitter from just outside the M25 North of London.

Sponsored Links
As you have chosen a log-periodic aerial, which is inherently wideband, you may (dependent on your postcode) find it useful to add a "Group A" bandpass filter to cut out any stray signals from transmitters other than Crystal Palace.

Something like a FRI70 FRINGE (GROUP A) 21 to 34 pass filter would do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back