TV aerial for DAB radio?

Have confirmed what I was trying to get a signal from was indeed the old virgin connection which is redundant. The coax externally down the house disappears into the wall about 3 inches from the virgin cable. It doesn't appear internally and potentially is behind a 2 gang socket :eek: Will investigate further during daylight hours when I can isolate the electrics.

Sponsored Links
Feeding the output from a TV aerial into an FM or DAB radio is one of those things that shouldn't work well in theory, but I bet you there are many people out there who have done this and it might work fine, or it might not - there are just too many variables - blame the black art of RF.

I have the set-up Lucid suggests - a TV aerial and a radio areial (a half wave FM dipole) which picks up both FM well enough for my ear and DAB with no breaks or glitches. These are diplexed down a single downlead and undiplexed in various locations in the house as required.

If you find yourelf listening to more DAB and less FM (or in a post terrestrial FM world), you could 'convert' this to a more DAB tuned set-up by cutting the length of the dipole in half.

The loss across a diplexer is lower than a splitter, so it's more signal efficient too.

Just make sure the diplexers you buy can pass the full spectrum of FM and DAB (88-230 MHz) on the 'radio' leg.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back