DAB Aerial (Dual Wall Socket) Clarification please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a regular TV aerial outside my house, but no DAB antenna, so I've just bought one. Inside the loft hatch I've found (I've just bought the house so its setup is new to me!) an 8-way booster/splitter that shows separate inputs for VHF and UHF, but 8 outputs to sockets, not specifying VHF or UHF.
Am I right in thinking VHF is radio and UHF is TV? And the TV and radio signals are combined as they travel through the same cables inside the walls of the house, then a dual socket will split the signal back out again??

Will the DAB aerial I bought still function the same through the splitter as the UHF aerial it was intended for? Also the wall sockets - I found these cheap:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

I assume they take one cable and split out the tv and aerial signals?

Let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree!

The TV aerial is external, but inside the loft I can see they've kindly left a mounting pole for an aerial, I hope the DAB antenna I bought gets a good enough signal inside the loft!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Yes VHF radio and UHF is terrestrial TV but DAB is half way between the two there is no reason with the double frequency from Analogue Radio to DAB and DAB to TV why an aerial with traps could not be used in the same way as used by radio amateurs but I have not seen any for sale.

The method seems to be to use combiners and splitters so four aerials feed the box in the loft and then one cable brings it to each room where it is split again. Often with a second coax for the second sky box feed.

However many do not include DAB so neither the VHF or UHF will have the right filters.

Thanks for the reply - I ended up winning the ebay auction for the set of 4 dual sockets for 99p yesterday, so I guess I'll just try it out when they arrive! Hopefully it will do what I'm thinking!

Sponsored Links
Thanks Sam, that does look the same. I would assume the splitter in the loft must use the Diplex system two if it was two types of input but only one type of output. I'll wait for them to arrive and see!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back