Changing TV aerial socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to change an old tv aerial socket which had two points UHF and VHF to a single point.

I hope this works... the old connections look like this...

and the new connector looks like this...

How do I change this? Where do the old cables go?

Thanks.[/img]

Sponsored Links
There's always oddball exceptions or throwbacks to the dawn of the radio era, but in general, the UHF frequency band is for TV (Freeview). VHF is now commonly used for FM radio and DAB.

If your old TV socket had UHF and VHF feeds, then it's either combining TV and FM/DAB to a single outlet (if I understand your description correctly), or it's a very old socket to combine the old 405 line monochrome TV signals with 625 line colour signals. However, 405 line broadcasts finished in the mid 80's when the last region to use it (Scotland) was switched over. Off the top of my head I can't think of another application, but some of the guys here are longer in the tooth so they may have so advice to offer.

What aerials have you got ion the roof? Is there an FM aerial up there. If so, have you got a stereo system with an FM aerial input that you could try hooking up to the plate before you replace it? That way you'd know if the FM worked or not.

If you just have a regular TV aerial on the roof then use the UHF feed to the plate and tape up the VHF cable so that the braid isn't touching the centre conductor.

The old socket has two outlets and two cables. The new one only has one outlet so you only need one of the cables, probably the thicker one.

I might add that you new socket, like your old one is not screened and is not recommended these days. Take it back and get a fully screened one.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back