Which tv aerial?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need a new tv aerial as i am wanting to add extra tv points. The signal isn't too good at the moment with 1 tv attached. I am sure it is the aerial as it does look quite old and standard?

How do i know which type of aerial to go for and which cable?

Sponsored Links
You need to know your postcode so you can determine your local transmitter in order to know the aerial "group". In most cases a "log-periodic" aerial will be fine, but not all.

Best compromise cable (price vs quality) is genuine WF100 or TX100. Beware recommendations for "CT100" as this hasn't been manufactured since 2005 and anything purporting to be "CT100" might be poor quality.

Edit: actually your transmitter is almost certainly Bilsdale. This is about to switch off analogue. I installed a Vision "Focus" V10-040 aerial in a loft in Middlesbrough so it may well be OK for you.

Dependent on your actual signal strength, you'll need either a passive splitter or a masthead amplifier with 4 outputs.

This might help: http://www.The-Cool-Book-shop.co.uk/satellite_freeview.htm#tvpoints

Bear in mind that when analogue is switched off, the Freeview signal will be increased in power. Your current system may then be adequate.

Thanks for the info.

Is there anything wrong with using PF100 cable or RG6 ?

Sponsored Links
As 90% of the cable price is for the copper, any "cheap" cable is probably lacking copper and therefore will have higher signal losses.

PF100 cable is, I think, imported by Philex. Check the specifications.
RG6 is used to describe almost anything, including cable with a steel wire core and cable with an aluminium screen. I'd tend to avoid it. Again, the price will probably tell you how bad it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back