Wire Free Tv Aerial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone
I have a TV aerial socket on a wall in my flat but I want to mount my TV on the opposite wall so is there a way to send the signal from the TV aerial point to the TV wire free. Don’t want to have to run long cables around the flat and up the wall.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have a TV aerial socket on a wall in my flat but I want to mount my TV on the opposite wall so is there a way to send the signal from the TV aerial point to the TV wire free.

If it's a modern TV, with wifi, and you have Internet, you could use an online TV service provider.

Thanks for reply. The flat will be ultimately used for my elderly parent so just needs the basic digital service

bite the bullet now and run a proper feed in to the tv, dont forget a cat5/6 cable as well whilst you are doing it (futerproofing etc)
you will thank me later when it looks much neater.
PS is the mains cable running up the wall.... and dont put it too high!

Sponsored Links
I always under stood that ideal height is to have a point on the screen which is two thirds of the way up the screen equal to your eye height when seated in your favourite chair

is the mains cable running up the wall.... and dont put it too high!
No. A plug socket was added at the height of the bracket. Thanks for the reply but is there no gadget that can send the signal from the aerial socket to a receiver in the back of the telly ?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Lots of indoor aerials around , the location of your tv in relation to the incoming signal is the governing factor .
If you have a good signal even a wire coat hanger will get a decent picture .

Thanks Foxhole. Just trying to find if there is anything that would plug into the aerial socket and send that signal wirelessly to a small receiver plugged into the AF socket on the back of the telly. Essentially cutting out the cable

No. A plug socket was added at the height of the bracket. Thanks for the reply but is there no gadget that can send the signal from the aerial socket to a receiver in the back of the telly ?
The problem (if you want to call it that) is the Broadcasting and Telegraphy Act. There maybe a more up-to-date version of this, but in a nutshell it's the bit of legislation that prevents you from losing your TV reception if your neighbour did what you're planning.

The Act makes it illegal to rebroadcast the full wideband aerial signal because of how it could interference with the existing transmissions and their reception. That's what you're asking of a device.

Video senders have existed for years. They get around this because they don't send the signal that appears at the end of a coax cable. The signal is decoded first, and only one channel at a time was sent.

With the old analogue senders they picked up a signal from the video outputs of a VCR. It was the VCR that decoded a single channel of the TV transmission, and then sent that signal via a composite (yellow) and mono/stereo audio cable set to the transmitter.

The signals were picked up by a receiver, so these systems came as a pair of devices. The receiver converted the signal back to video and audio to object to an AV input on the TV.

AFAIK, the transmissions between the TX and RX set were at a different frequency to the bands used by the national transmitter network. There were stories though of next door neighbours with the same sort of kits picking up other people's transmissions.

That's the why and how behind being unable to just send the whole range of Freeview signals. Let's look next at the modern solutions.

The first thing to say is that the Act is still in place. No solution allows the rebroadcasting of the full spectrum of frequencies.

Modern versions of the old analogue wireless senders exist. They take a signal via HDMI from a set top box (Sky/ Virgin/ Freeview/ Freesat) and transmit on either the 2.4GHz or 5GHz band.

In case you're wondering, no, the signals can't be picked up via Wi-Fi. The frequencies are to do with licensing. 2.4GHz is free to use, and it has good range. However, it's crowded and so prone to interference. That’s not great when you’re trying to watch the soaps or sport and the signal goes off because the microwave is heating up some food.

The makers of better systems pay for licencing to use 5GHz. The range isn't as good, but for in-room use or between adjacent rooms it does fine.

Since you're going to have to control channel changing from a set top box of some description, and that's going to be at the back of the room compared to the TV, then ot would be sensible to spec a wireless kit that includes IR relay. This is where a sensor near the TV picks up the remote signals for the set top box remote and sends them back to the transmitter. An IR flasher on a bit of wire then repeats the commands to control the box.

In order to avoid running a coax cable you'll need to by a Freeview receiver, and a HDMI wireless sender kit, and make sure that the kit is 5GHz, and with IR relay.

The extender shouldn't be an issue, but the set top box is a different matter.

There used to be cheap Friewview HD boxes from Manhattan, Bush and Alba. These were pukka Freeview licenced designs, so you got the same TV guide structure as a TV. Something has happened in the market and these have all vanished. Argos and Currys no longer have this stuff. In fact, one of them has no Freeview boxes at all! The other lists the Humax Auna (sp?) boxes which are priced between £230 and £270.

Amazon has cheap boxes, but they're mostly just digital TV receivers rather than Freeview boxes. This means the TV guide doesn't follow the familiar BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, Ch4 listing structure.

This all makes the option of running a cable more attractive. However, subject to whether the flat is owned or rented then a wireless solution might still be preferred.

If you want to keep the cost down then a used Freeview recorder might be the answer. I took in some Humax HDR1800 and HDR2000 boxes as part exchanges from customers. They're easy to use, good quality and reliable. LMK if you're interested.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Nice try, but.....

That will relay a single signal, from one device to the TV. What is required is all of the broadcast Freeview channels, recieved at the original antenna position, then rebroadcast.
Get a freeview box then. That's what I have, freeview box connected to the transmitter+receiver. My transmitter is 5.8ghz.

I don't watch tv. I can't remember everything that was set up 15-20 years ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back