Wire Free Tv Aerial

ok my thoughts probably not useful
avoiding a long story i live 2 miles from Reigate hill very close to direct line off site
complicated whole house system from attic through house to 2 tvs at the back and in the shed with miles off coax now replaced with a £4ish small oblong aerial for each tv at the back 76% signal quality more with a booster
anyway the point i am making a window facing transmitter in fairly close approximation may give a good to fully useful signal so possibly worth a try

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
According to people's comments, the best indoor aerial is the stick on window type. You may get lucky or you may not.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Depends on your experience. People with experience of indoor aerials may not be so optimistic.

thats the one i have
i actually built a frame so i could rotate it through 90% to check signal strength and it made little difference 2% at most but directly facing was best signal
i dont think it will be any good unless the window faces but may work with a booster i cannot vouch either way

More American hype and rubbish. You can’t quote an aerials performance in miles. There are so many variables such as transmitter power, terrain, roof materials, you name it.

As for 3600 miles, that is an outright lie. The curvature of the planet would get in the way long before that.
Regardless, you remain wrong for claiming no wireless solution exists.

Really. No one on here yet, including you, has come up with what the OP wants; namely a system of wirelessly sending the complete UHF band from an aerial socket across the room to a TV.
Nowhere does the OP mention transmission of complete UHF. Given his optimism about indoor aerials, he probably doesn't know what a complete UHF is. The OP wants to watch TV away from his aerial socket. The solution has been presented.

Nowhere does the OP mention transmission of complete UHF.

Small point of order, but in actual fact he did. It's in post #8

but is there no gadget that can send the signal from the aerial socket to a receiver in the back of the telly ?

The key part of this is 'from the aerial socket'. Given that in the first post he has talked about a room with an aerial socket on one wall and a TV on the other then he's not referring to the aerial socket of some PVR or set top box.

This kind of request is not uncommon.

I disagree. He wants a wire free solution to send the signals (ie UHF band) from his aerial socket to his TV.

Actually, it can be done...

Totally impractical, and likely would not work, but if the OP plugged a TV antenna into end of the downlead at the one side of the room, antenna pointed at the TV, he could have a second antenna plugged into the TV. Much would depend upon the signal strength appearing at the end of the downlead. It's known as a passive repeater.

I disagree. He wants a wire free solution to send the signals (ie UHF band) from his aerial socket to his TV. No solution has been presented as such transmitters would be illegal and cause interference to neighbours.

Using an indoor TV aerial when a working socket is available would be madness and contrary to the broadcasters recommendations.

While it may not be ideal, I did think about suggesting an indoor aerial. Had I not written War and Peace for @nabby68 to wade through then I might even have suggested it in the post. As it is, and human nature being what it is, folk tend to switch off once they hear or read that the answer is some form of No. I don't expect much of what I wrote in that post to sink in for nabby69, but I still remain optimistic. ;) ;)

'Broadcasters recommendations' is an interesting term. In this case the body would be OFcom. There may be something tucked away in some less-visited corner of the web site, but all my searching revealed was a rather limp recommendation to get a wideband aerial where there are reception problems.

1694691261171.png

Regarding indoor aerials, the results are very site specific. You've only to look at the wide variation is customer reviews on say the Argos site to find some folk waxing lyrical while others consider their purchase an abomination. Same aerial (sorry, arial / ariel /aireel... okay, that last one I made up, but I've read some very creative spelling attempts in the past so this isn't that extreme) but wildly different results.

Those like @big-all with a room facing the transmitter, and just a short distance from it with close-to direct line of sight will get good results. Hell, at 2 miles from a transmitter, even a lower-powered one like Reigate (2kW), you could get possibly away with attaching a bit of coax to a metal coat hanger and get a signal. :LOL:

People being what people are though they'll always gravitate to the lowest effort solution. That and big numbers. Some indoor aerial where the metal receiving element is smaller than a Bic biro but it has a whopping high-gain amp wins over some rabbit ears contraption or a mini-me version of an outdoor job. The fact those other aerials don't need as much amp gain because more metal = more signal doesn't compute. The bigger amp wins. The fact that it's amplifying a crappier signal.... pfttt. As Clarkson would say; POWERRRRR!

This is how we've arrived at even more dumbing down with a miles measurement of reception ability. What was the number, 1600 miles or something? BWHA-HA-HA-HA You're right, curvature of the earth and all.

This is Thornbank offshore windfarm. It's about 19 miles off the Belgian coast, and those turbine blades ain't dipping in the water. :LOL:

1694693924151.png

Coming back to this human nature thing, we learn by experience. We can tell people what will and won't work, and we can give them the tools and info so that they can do the 'maths' themselves, but it still won't stop folks ploughing ahead on something even if all the indicators may be negative.

While I'm on a roll, we're not mind readers either. @nabby68 may well have a flat that's in a strong signal area, and with a room with a window perfect for good reception. IDK because I can't recall seeing anything in the thread that indicates a location and which way the window faces. Sometimes you just have to let folk go find out for themselves. We're still here though for advice however the OP wants to proceed.

He did not. He wanted to watch TV. He does not care about UHF. Even No HF is acceptable if he gets to watch TV.
Oh dear god, (faceplam moment), it's right there, I quoted the bit of his post where he said exactly what he wanted.

It's up to you what you want to believe. I can't speak for others here, but I can see when someone should concede that the point of debate is lost and move on. You're clinging on and trying to fashion increasingly convoluted justifications.

Whether or not he cares about UHF is a minor technical point. It rests largely on his understanding what the hell UHF is. He probably doesn't care what UHF is. From his point of view it's not important. He just wants the damned signal - all of it - from the socket on the other side of the room to the TV without running a cable so his old folks can watch TV simply.

That's all there is to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back