Fitting aerial socket into a solid wall...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We live in an old terraced house. Currently our tv aerial cable comes down from the aerial and through a hole in the wall. 2 problems, it looks rubbish just having a wire drilled through the wall and we only have about 60 cms of aerial cable in the house limiting where the tv can go.

How can you mount the tv aerial with a socket on a brick/plaster solid wall?

Hope that makes sense and thanks in advance for your help :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice so far folks....

I have encountered another problem, which is clearly from my inexperience :\

My current plan is to fit a socket mounted on the wall where the current aerial cable comes through the wall. A fairly simple process with the advice already offered.

What I want to do it run a cable from this socket to the upstairs bedroom - quick bit of trunking up the wall, little hole in the floor, another wall mounted socket in the bedroom, bobs your uncle.

BUT my plans have been scuppered as I wanted to install a double socket in the lounge (cable access, 1 cable) so there was still an aerial socket in the lounge, and the extra cable going upstairs to the bedroom. but apparently you need 2 cables to have a double socket.

How can i get round this problem and still have a nice neat wiring solution?

Many thanks in advance. hope that actually made sense?

Sponsored Links

My current plan is to fit a socket mounted on the wall where the current aerial cable comes through the wall. A fairly simple process with the advice already offered.

What I want to do it run a cable from this socket to the upstairs bedroom - quick bit of trunking up the wall, little hole in the floor, another wall mounted socket in the bedroom, bobs your uncle.

BUT my plans have been scuppered as I wanted to install a double socket in the lounge (cable access, 1 cable) so there was still an aerial socket in the lounge, and the extra cable going upstairs to the bedroom. but apparently you need 2 cables to have a double socket.

Not really sure what that means but if I were you I wouldn't use trunking but assuming it's an external wall, run the cable on the outside instead.

You want to run a second socket up to the bedroom to do what exactly?

If it's to loop through a Sky box then, presuming you have a box with RF in/out or you have one of the i/O link attachments for a new box then the bedroom feed is simply a cable from the lounge up to the bedroom. It's not complicated.

On the other hand, if you just want a Freeview signal for the TV upstairs then I'd suggest splitting it at the branch point outside the upstairs bedroom, and then feeding each with it's own signal. This presumes there's enough signal in the first place to withstand a passive split and still maintain good signal level on the weaker channel groups.

Doing a "daisy chain" from downstairs to upstairs is what novice DIY'ers think of as an appropriate solution, but it's really not the best answer.

As a favour to a friend I did a budget job on Friday for a guy in a rented house in Winsford. He wanted exactly what you're asking for; to feed a bedroom TV from a loop in the lounge. I was called after he'd already wasted £26.99 on a "deluxe indoor aerial" from Argos.

The signal from old aerial was reasonably strong but when I metered it down by the TV socket it was barely acceptable despite the TV's own signal meter optimistically rating it as "good". I knew from experience that splitting it at the socket would probably result in no signal for either of the TVs. The problem was loads of loss due to the crappy and now aged coax which the builders had fitted back in the 90's when the estate went up. There just wasn't enough signal at the socket to stand split.

I started to explain why it wouldn't work so well but could see the guys eyes glazing over, so I said "Here, look. I'll show you." and then inserted a 6dB attenuator to simulate the effect. Sure as egg is eggs the BBC1 signal for the D-Day Commemoration just dissolved in to a pile of random squares and garbage. 6dB was a little over the exact amount of loss from a split. But given that the cable was deteriorating then it seemed prudent to include a small safety margin. Given that the BBC mux is one of the stronger signal groups, if this fell over then it wouldn't bode well for the weaker muxes.

Lucid, I am an amateur, well and truly!

My intention was to basically run an extension cable from the down stairs socket (which is the cable direct from the aerial on the roof) up to the bedroom, we have a sky box down stairs with its own feed and nothing in the bedroom. I wanted to run freeview(talk talk tv) in the bedroom.

I have this socket to install a "hard point" aerial downstairs as its currently just a wire through the wall.
http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electric...gle-Socket-Outlet-White-9289604?skuId=9299303
is this ok?

All advice much appreciated

is this ok?
Impossible to say. It doesn't state whether that socket is screened or whether it's isolated (and it's not clear to me how you plan to connect it). It takes a single coaxial cable at the rear and a single coaxial cable with TV plug at the front.

You can't "daisy-chain" coaxial sockets as you can with mains sockets, without additional extras such as "attenuator taps".

That box would be fine though you would need one upstairs too, are you saying you don't use the aerial at all downstairs? Or you want to move the talk talk box upstairs?

To provide a terrestrial signal to both rooms you could do what you planned and run a cable from the same box upstairs, or what would be better is to re-route the first bit of your existing cable into the loft, cut it then run it into and out of a splitter box. The out would go downstairs as current. then run another cable from the splitter to a new box in your upstairs room. If you have a gable end and the aerial runs to it or is already visible in the loft it's fairly easy to do.

Sam Gangee - Its non isolated. My plan is to make a single aerial socket downstairs using the cable from the aerial on the roof. instead of having a wire through the wall direct into a tv (not that we use it at the moment anyway)

RJM2K - we dont use terrestrial down stairs at all. currently have a repeater box from argos which sends the sky signal to the upstairs tv (quick fix when we first moved in) and its ok, but crackles a bit. we now get talk talk TV with our broadband and phone so thought we could run that upstairs, by running an extension cable to the bedroom from the main socket. I have 2 sockets to install one upstairs too for neatness. Its basically an extravagant extension cable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back