Adding aerial socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

As it stands I have an aerial socket in the corner of my lounge but I want my tv wall mounted on the centre of the wall which would mean wiring another aerial socket.

The cable in the existing aerial socket is too short to be able to put any sort of plug on it, would I be ok in just connect a coax in the same terminals in the back of the aerial socket - effectively joining the cable? Then wiring to another aerial socket behind the TV.

Sponsored Links
It may work, any plug, socket, or other joiner will likely attenuate the signal. But I have in the past got away with simply twisting cables together, it depends on how good the signal is.

Why can't you just plug an aerial extension cable into the existing aerial socket?

Take the cable off the back of the socket put a F connector on it and barrel to another piece of cable. That piece of cable can be run in the wall this will be the best bet short of running a new cable from the source (aerial)

Sponsored Links
Take the cable off the back of the socket put a F connector on it and barrel to another piece of cable. That piece of cable can be run in the wall this will be the best bet short of running a new cable from the source (aerial)

^ This.

If there's enough cable to attach to the rear of a wall plate, then there's enough to fit a screw-on F plug.

Good call, @Iamchamps

Hi guys thanks for your help this far.

I wired a new aerial point by joining the cable in the same terminals in the back if the existing aerial socket. Everything seemed to be fine and the TV tunes perfectly but there is some channels that will work but will drop out as soon as I stand up and walk towards the TV??

No idea why that might be. Any suggestions would be great!

Er... probably because you ignored the advice here and "wired a new aerial point by joining the cable in the same terminals in the back if the existing aerial socket" lol :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Quite honestly, next time you simply want someone to agree with your plan, don't bother with the pretence of seeking advice. Just go ask a nodding dog. :sneaky:

Er... probably because you ignored the advice here and "wired a new aerial point by joining the cable in the same terminals in the back if the existing aerial socket" lol :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Quite honestly, next time you simply want someone to agree with your plan, don't bother with the pretence of seeking advice. Just go ask a nodding dog. :sneaky:
Congratulations on that comment.. I bet that made you feel good!

I said in the original post there is not enough on the cable to put a plug on. The sheath is stripped all the way back beyond the box. So maybe you should learn to read before offering advice.

If the cable reaches the socket to be terminated in the socket logic would dictate there is enough to push on a F connector nothing was said in the first post that the sheath is stripped back beyond the box. Anyway you have it working unless you want to follow the advice here you will probably be stuck with the service as it is intermittent.

Congratulations on that comment.. I bet that made you feel good!

I said in the original post there is not enough on the cable to put a plug on. The sheath is stripped all the way back beyond the box. So maybe you should learn to read before offering advice.

Maybe you should learn to write accurate descriptions before climbing up on your high horse and acting out all outraged and wounded.

As @Iamchamps accurately described in two posts now, in order to fit a face plate socket, there has to be enough loose cable to allow a connection before the face plate or a grid module is secured in place. In other words, its impossible to fit a faceplate and leave no spare cable, or certainly not enough that a screw-on F plug can't be fitted. That's why your description doesn't ring true.

Now it seems like you're changing your original story so you can act the victim. That might fool some folk in other forums, but in this one there are several of us here who are professional installers. It's obvious to us when something doesn't add up.

How about we just start again? Why don't you tell us what's really going on. A picture would be tremendously useful.

You've added that the sheath is stripped back all the way past the back of the backbox. That in itself may not be a huge problem so long as the shield braiding is still covering the inner insulation down to the back of the faceplate. It's more of a problem though if someone has pig-tailed it so that the inner insulation and core conductor are no longer covered.

The other potential issue could be that the faceplate itself is unshielded.

From your description of how the cable is stripped, and from the collective knowledge and experience within this forum, that all points towards a bodge job. It could have been a DIYer with no clue, or an electrician who thought they knew enough but really didn't. Either way, this could be the red flag that points to other issues with the whole house install. The fact that you have signal changes and channel loss as you walk around the room kind of confirms that, don't you think?

Did you test the signal with a fly lead plugged in to the front socket on the faceplate before commencing with your plan for a Heath Robinson connection? If so, we're the signal loss problems evident then too?

Before we go any further, just look back at your thread. You have had good advice from the word go here, and some of us have taken a good chunk of time out of our day to write at length to help you. Now ask yourself, doesn't that seem like we know what we are doing and are willing to help?

It's up to you if you want to play ball. We can't make you take good advice from professionals and knowledgeable DIYers. The ball is very definitely in your court. What you do with it is entirely up to you.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back