Connecting TV Aerial Socket.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Just wanted some advice in regards to connecting up my aerial socket in the top floor bedroom. The socket has already been fitted and the builder has fed the coax cable down from the loft but the cable hasn't been connected to anything.

The issue is I can't for the life of me find the aerial splitter. The cables go under the loft flooring so I have a feeling it could possibly be under the flooring that the previous owner fitted. All I have found though is the end of three coax cables and I presume one of these is mine.

I was wondering what options I have now in order to get the socket connected to the aerial but not affect the quality of the signal to the other sockets(2 others connected to the aerial). Just to also mention where the coax cable runs up to the loft the aerial is actually fitted on the outside of the same wall so I am not sure if connecting the coax directly to the aerial is an option?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
To use any passive device to split signals will loose a lot of signal. The norm is to use resistors in splitters so to split two ways reduces power by a 1/4 so you need an active splitter i.e. one using power. So either you need power in the loft or you need to use a mast head type which allows you to use the coax to supply the power from a special transformer.

The mast head amplifier works better the closer it is to aerial so splitting just below aerial may be best option.

Often the aerial supplies main room and from main room it returns to loft so Sky, DVD etc can be added to signal.

To use any passive device to split signals will loose a lot of signal. The norm is to use resistors in splitters so to split two ways reduces power by a 1/4 so you need an active splitter i.e. one using power. So either you need power in the loft or you need to use a mast head type which allows you to use the coax to supply the power from a special transformer.

The mast head amplifier works better the closer it is to aerial so splitting just below aerial may be best option.

Often the aerial supplies main room and from main room it returns to loft so Sky, DVD etc can be added to signal.

Ericmark, thank's for your reply.

If a mast head amp were to be fitted would the cable that feeds the rest of house & the coax cable from my bedroom feed directly into the amp?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back