Removing TV aerial socket and extending to TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I'm looking to wall mount some cabinets with sockets/phone/TV points accessed from inside the cabinet (all hidden). However, one of the cabinet's vertical columns goes right over the existing TV connector on the wall and ideally, needs to sit flush against the wall.

I could move my cabinets along but then there would be a tiny gap between the end wall which I don't want. Also, either side of the TV socket is an electrical outlet and a BT slave socket and there wasn't that much slack on the cable. I'm guessing it's been secured in the walls as loads of excess cable in the loft where the aerial is (3 storey new build).

Can I:
1. Remove the TV aerial socket face plate entirely
2. Put a male F-connector on the end of the now free aerial cable coming out the wall. The cable will stick out towards the right side of the open socket, to the right of the cabinet wall..
3. Connect to a female-female F-connector
4. Connect to an extension cable with male F-connector.
5. Connect other end of the extension cable to the TV with a male coax TV connector The extension cable will simply be routed through the back of the cabinets up to the TV.

I think that should work but just not sure if the wall socket plate has any purpose if I remove it completely.

Any experts or comments?

Sponsored Links
Bit of a long winded way to do it.If you are removing the wall plate then it just leaves the the bit of cable.So i would just get another length of coaxial cable and join with connectors any sort will do,ie waco ,terminal block etc.Then other end just put the tv plug connector for into tv.Done.That way their is minimal connections and joins which will improve signal

Bit of a long winded way to do it.If you are removing the wall plate then it just leaves the the bit of cable.So i would just get another length of coaxial cable and join with connectors any sort will do,ie waco ,terminal block etc.Then other end just put the tv plug connector for into tv.Done.That way their is minimal connections and joins which will improve signal
what the op suggested is the best way to do it. you cannot just use "any sort of connector" to join coax and he has no less joins than your suggestion. joining with terminal block will make it worse

Sponsored Links
The plan you detail will likely work OK, the question you ask is does the socket do anything else, and answer has to be yes it could, if an aerial is outside the house and we have high winds or electric storms then you can get a high voltage, so some aerial sockets have a decoupling capacitor to stop you getting a shock, also you can get band pass filters so a TV aerial and FM radio aerial and even satellite disc can all send there signals down one coax, then be split again on the TV plate, but these also stop the DC going up the coax to power a mast head amplifier, so you could find any type as the face plate, however it seems unlikely that a builder would use expensive type, so likely what you describe will work OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back