TV socket for cable TV ( Virgin)


30 Jan 2022
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi Forum,

I would like to move my virgin system to another room w/o really moving the old NTL TV socket which contains a Qamtex VC330 TV/FM isolator (5-1000Mhz)

Could I use a "standard" TV / FM/DAB TV socket instead with Coax connector like the below ?

As far as I understood Cable TV signals and Freeview aerial use the same bands i.e. would a standard socket work ?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
First you are not supposed to touch anything to do with a Virgin installation. The old NTL socket has safety isolation components in it to prevent the VM system becoming live at 240V if your equipment develops a fault. So it is good you are not planning to move it. I guess you just want to run an extension to another room.
You MUST use a fully screened TV socket, not the £1.50 ones in the DIY sheds. You MUST decent double screened cable such as WF100 and you MUST use decent F connectors either crimp or compression. The reason for this is to prevent ingress or egress of VM signals. VM signals are in and beyond the TV bands and any egress or their signals could cause harmful interference to other users. Any ingress of signals will give you interference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links