Installing a Real WoodStove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Im wanting to replace my real flame gas fire with a proper wood stove.
So I have a few questions :LOL: Firstly heres a little info about the house, its an 1800s sandstone house, other houses locally have coal/wood fires (so there should be no smoke restrictions). The room has been completly squared off with plasterboard and to my knowlege the chimney is currently capped.

Will I need to get Planning permission?
Could I run the cast iron flue up the plasterboard wall then into the chimney 3/4 of the way up the room?
Can I keep the plasterboard wall or will I have to take it back to the Brick/Stone?
Is there anything else I should be thinking of?

Thanks very much for any help

Merry Christmas

Sponsored Links
hey dave12

we're doing the same - were suppose to have the cap removed and a new pot put on on monday..... they didn't turn up so no real fire for us this christmas :O(

anyway you shouldn't need planning permission to open the flu and put a pot on. As for the plasterboard thing i haven't a clue but i reckon it'd get ruined with the heat coming from the stove flu (plasterboard has a paper covering so i reckon this'd get scorched off - anyone agree???)

the other thing you must consider is how is the chimney going to be cleaned - if you run your stove flu up and then into the wall how will the chimney be accessed for cleaning?

hope this helps... a bit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back