installing a shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there folks .
wanting to install a new shower in my loft conversion the tray is where the query is . its reconsituted stone will be sitting on top of wooden floor i obviously need to site the tray on a plATform to accomodate the waste trap and allow acess later . how do I ??go about this its 800 by 800 have all the new stud wall up etc . do i build a platform out of wood ,say lengths of,3x2 making it solid enough to make it stable ?? or do i need to make a cement base or something. seem to have read it somewhere ? bearing in mind the tray is on upstairs wooden floor i guess i could tile the floor then fit the base so leaks wont permeate the wooden floor ? any advice would be appreciated, also could someone recomend shower panels i just think that tiling stud wall would not be as good as whole panels with no grouting etc.

Sponsored Links
I am not sure about the base, but for the wall panels aquapanel is good.

This is similar to plasterboard, but instead of gypsum in the middle it is cement, and instead of plaster on the outside it is fibreglass mesh.

It isn't hugely expensive, I paid about £12 per 1200mmx900mm sheet at Wickes, but you can probably get it cheaper elsewhere (Knauf cement board is what is written on it). It is usually screwed to the studwork (with "special" ceramic coated screws if you read the leaflet).

It smells pretty good too. But it is bloomin' heavy, especially if you are putting it up by yourself and you have to lift and hold it whilst trying to drive in screws. Proper bas**rd it was.

Just re-read your post and realised you don't want tiles inside your shower. And seeing as you have already bought the tray you won't be interested in the all-in shower cubicles... They include wall panels so you don't get any leaks, my parents got one and it is great.

I built a platform using the excess timber from the new floor joists (9"X 2"). Two layers on their side in alternate directions, screwed. Make sure you leave good space for waste trap.

The tray was then bedded on No-Nails, (took 2 1/2 tubes) expensive yes, but easier and cleaner than messing around with sand and cement. Shower has been in for some time now with no ill effects, but most importantly no movement.

Sponsored Links
nigelsz said:
could someone recomend shower panels i just think that tiling stud wall would not be as good as whole panels with no grouting etc.

Interior shower surround made by MERIT.

I have put a photo of my shower pvc wall panel on here somewhere early this year, but I can't find it !

See this, they might be able to help you to find your nearest stockist, approx £50 a panel then cut down to size, cheaper than tiling & maintenance free I think !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back