installing a steam/shower room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have recently bought a steam/shower room. The unit comes with a 3m long cable and a 13amp plug on it!
I think the unit is imported from China. I was wondering how I can "plug" it in. The cable has a seperate trip switch on it.
Do I need a new circuit just for the shower or can I plug it into an existing socket?
Do I need to take the plug off and connect it directly into a circuit?
Any tips/advice much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
danstrak said:
Hi,
I have recently bought a steam/shower room. The unit comes with a 3m long cable and a 13amp plug on it!
! indeed - no sockets allowed in bath/shower rooms..

I think the unit is imported from China.
Is it CE marked? Are you sure enough of the safety of a machine that generates steam in (presumably) a confined space to trust your life to it?

I was wondering how I can "plug" it in.
I guess you could take the cable out through the bathroom door and plug it in somewhere.

The cable has a seperate trip switch on it.
What does that mean?

Do I need a new circuit just for the shower or can I plug it into an existing socket?
It's only (max) 13A, so you don't need a new circuit and subject to the cable leaving the bathroom as described above, yes you can plug it in.

Don't know what the instructions say, but RCD protection would be a Good Idea™.

Do I need to take the plug off and connect it directly into a circuit?
Doing that, and connecting it to a switched FCU in the bathroom (watch the zones), or just outside would be neater.

Any tips/advice much appreciated.
Did it not come with any installation instructions?

I don't know where in the UK you are, but if it's England or Wales then installing this item is notifiable work.

Thanks very much for that - Very helpful indeed.

To answe a couple of your points

I am not sure if it is CE marked !
The trip switch is a small square box with a little red button on it. The button needs to be pressed in for it to operate. The button will pop out if something is "wrong". The box is located on the cable about 4 inches from the plug.

If I just plug it into an existing socket outside the bathroom do I still need it to be certified by an electrician?

Thanks again for your reply - you have been a hage help.

Dan

danstrak said:
I am not sure if it is CE marked !
Hmmm. Where did you get this item? Please don't say you bought it on eBay direct from China....

The trip switch is a small square box with a little red button on it. The button needs to be pressed in for it to operate. The button will pop out if something is "wrong". The box is located on the cable about 4 inches from the plug.
Does it have anything written on it that might indicate what it is?

If I just plug it into an existing socket outside the bathroom do I still need it to be certified by an electrician?
An interesting question. I would say "yes", as it is a fixed appliance. OTOH, what is there for an electrician to test?

Sponsored Links
OOPS !!!!1!
Well I did buy it off Ebay !!! and I think they import them from China - or maybe India ( just guessing as the instructions are vitually non existant and what little instruction it does come with is very very badly written !!

I have just looked at the unit again
The steam generator box has CE , ES Germany and LVS Tested written on it.
The "Trip Switch" doesn't have anything on it to say what it is but it does say "Test before Use" It has a small red button on it with a plastic cover which you press in. It has a small LED AND ALSO a very small button that says test !
QC Scheme CE QC passed

Where the cable enters the socket it has an extra "sheath" on it - I presume to make the connection water tight.

Hope this helps !!

Thanks again

Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back