Installing a Wall Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Simple enough question you might think but I could do with some pointers as I:

A - dont want to kill myself

and

B - dont want the house to burn down

I have purchased a Wall Light for underneath my stairs and attempted to wire it into an existing 1-way 1-Gang light switch. I bought some Twin and Earth cable and a switch to use inline.

The issue i am having is that the 1-Way switch does not appear to be an adequate source for the power (in terms of me wiring in the new light) or I am just being an idiot.

I have very little electrical experience (can replace existing fixtures/switches) and don't want to do this wrong.

The switch comprises of an earth cable and the Red and Black cables. Twin and Earth is obviously Brown, Blue and earth.

My question is this:

Can I use the 1-Way switch as the power source and if I can how do I go about wiring it in?

If not can I piggy back the light off the mains switch near the light switch (both are on the opposite side of the wall the light is being mounted on)?

Thanks, and feel free to shout at me and call me every name under the sun if I am being COMPLETELY stupid.

Sponsored Links
no you can't as there is unlikely to be a neutral present.

If there are some blue or black wires joined together in the back box, then you maybe able to do it.

Why do you mean by your second option? main switch ?

Sorry just noticed that I wrote Mains Switch, I meant Mains Socket.

How would I know if the neutral is there?

I have taken the switch off and looked in the backplate and cannot see any other cables than the ones I listed. I tried to remove the metal backplate but it is stuck fast as I figured there must be some join or something behind there.

Hi, i think you need an electrician. Or you plug the wall light into the 13a socket that's the safest option for you.

Kind Regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
Hi, i think you need an electrician. Or you plug the wall light into the 13a socket that's the safest option for you.

Kind Regards,

DS

Surely if I can plug it into the socket, I can wire it directly into it? What's the difference?

I rest my case.

DS

Thanks for being ever so helpful!

I realise that this may be a trivial question however instead of being condescending you could try and educate people to prevent more of these types of questions.

I ask because I do not know, yet you respond as though I am a complete moron devoid of the ability to actually learn.

Thanks for making my first question feel accepted.

Hi, just don't want you to kill yourself of burn the house down.

Regards,

DS

Surely if I can plug it into the socket, I can wire it directly into it? What's the difference?
The most important difference is that if you used a plug, it would contain a fuse which would protect the cable to your light (from catching on fire etc.) - if you wired directly into the socket, there would be no such protection.

Kind Regards, John

That's fine but I still don't understand what the difference is. I am more than capable of changing plug sockets around my house as I have done it numerous times.

I probably over reacted a little bit but it is not the first time I have seen posts similar to yours towards newbies on sites, not here but other places, and it irritates me that's all. People ask because they want to know and responses like these don't teach them anything but belittle them.

If it is safe enough to plug the wall light into the socket then I assume it is ok for me to wire it directly into the back of the mains socket.

If this is not correct please tell me why and I will gladly listen and then take the advice onboard and as you said get myself an electrician.

EDIT: - Thank You John for your post. This makes sense.

I ask because I do not know, yet you respond as though I am a complete moron devoid of the ability to actually learn.
I'm sure that there was no intent to give that impression. No-one, certainly not I, am doubting your ability to learn, but your questions indicate that there is so much you would have to learn in order to be able to do the work safely/competently that it probably would not be worth the effort for the sake of just installing one light. Simply giving you 'wiring by numbers' instructions from afar would not constitute teaching or, for you, learning, and would not necessarily assure a safe job.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back