installing a wired smoke alarm with interlinking heat alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
read the instructions, want to hard wire a smoke alarm and interlinking heat alarm to my consummer unit. however nothing in instructions about this, understand i need 3 core and earth cable, brown and blue to normal place in consummer unit and earth, where do i put the white cable at beginning (interlinking cable)

Sponsored Links
The two core at CU would be brown (line), blue (neutral).
Your three core at alarms will be brown (line), black(interlink) this is then sleeved brown, grey(neutral) this is then sleeved blue.
Depending on the type of smoke alarm you have the connected wire of them could be different, if you have to terminate the connector plug/socket and if you have brown, blue, white the white would generally be used as the interlink, but this should be documented in the fitting instruction that come with the alarms.

Please note the CPC/earth (yellow and green sleeving) should be terminated at all points of the alarm system.

you put the unused core at the CU into a piece of 'choc block' terminal strip, and label it accordingly.

Sponsored Links
In My exxperience of fitting these interlinked alarms, the white goes on to the next sensor and so on so that if smoke alarm goes off in kitchen in the night they will all Sound due to the white wire!!

In My exxperience of fitting these interlinked alarms, the white goes on to the next sensor and so on so that if smoke alarm goes off in kitchen in the night they will all Sound due to the white wire!!

I think that is agiven....

The black used for the interlink should not be sleeved brown, it should be left black to identify it as ELV - The signalling is ELV as it has to still interlink during a power failure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back