installing an immersion timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, time has come to fit a timer to the immersion heater.

this is what I've got :
digital timer with straightforward mains in (Live,Neutral, Earth) and appliance out (LNE).
seems straightforward enough

the immersion has neutral & earth as well as 2 live wires (one for 'bath' and the other for 'sink'

the existing switch has on-off and bath-sink

how exactly should I wire this ? the instructions with the timer only indicate to wire the mains on one side (easy) and the appliance on the other (not so easy)

do I completely replace the swtich with the timer or does the timer sit between the switch and the immersion ?

Sponsored Links
ideally you should leave the switch in place so that you can isolate the timer (you never know)

The problem is that your timer may just be a standard timer and not able to cope with the current drawn by the immersion heater, does it say that it is for immersion heaters?

The other thing is that you would either have to choose either (sink or bath) or have have them both on at the same time as your timer would appear to be for switching only one live not two (but you could always use two timers if you can not find one that can switch two things independantly)

thanks breezer.
the timer is specifically rated/designed for immersion heaters so I've no concerns with regard to the current.

Now that I've slept on it I realise that what I need to do is put the timer after the On-Off switch and before the appliance.
This means that I can completely over-ride the timer if necessary.

The bath-sink switch can still operate as normal.

WIll have another look at it all when I've had some coffee..... and spoken to someone in the hardware store

Sponsored Links
Sorry to disagree, but it would appear you have two elements and you have to choose one on (sink) or both on (bath).
I'm certain the timer comes first which feeds the switch which you have pre set to 'sink' or 'bath'.
The timer could be off if necessary without affecting the clock or if the timer is in use you could use over ride. ie make on 'off' or make off 'on'
If you have switch first and turn it off you stop the clock and with it on you can no longer have the two choices as the timer will only support a single output
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back